No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LROR head denies surrounding GNC to pressure them

bySami Zaptia
November 5, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 5 November 2013:

Speaking live on tonight’s nine o’clock news on Libya Al-Ahrar TV, Shaban Hadia, . . .[restrict]the head of the Libya Revolutionary Operations Room (LROR) denied that his forces had surrounded the GNC today in order to put pressure on them so as not to dissolve the LROR.

Libya Herald had reported earlier that the LROR had denied this claim. Hadia denied it categorically live on TV.

Earlier in the day confusing rumours had started to circulate that the LROR had surrounded the GNC. However, the LROR immediately released a statement denying this.

RELATED POSTS

Hafter praises the PC and says Qatar is arming Libyan terrorists

Ghwell said his fighters withdrew to prevent further damage in Tripoli

The confusion was added to by the loud gunfire heard last night and the shooting incident on the seafront area of Al-Shat – which was a completely separate incident.

“We are not surrounding the GNC. We are just protecting it”, Hadia said to the Al-Ahrar presenter.

When asked to specify who or what they were protecting the GNC against, Hadia said somewhat evasive and refused to clearly identify the threat. Equally, when asked why was it that the LROR had chosen today of all days – the day their possible dissolution was being discussed in the GNC – to protect the GNC; Hadia was adamant that there was a specific threat, but would not identify it.

“There was a threat against the GNC today”, Hadia said. “The GNC security command communicated this to us today”, he added.

The presenter then put it to the LROR head that how come they were not on hand to protect the GNC on other occasions when it was stormed by protestors including yesterday when some members complained that they were terrorized and shots were fired within the GNC building.

Again Hadia was unclear in his answer saying that yesterday’s gunfire incident was a one-off that happened suddenly and ended quickly. He said that the LROR was not requested to provide security yesterday.

Moreover, Hadia distant himself from the incident saying that the LROR had nothing to do with it. Pressed to name those responsible for yesterday’s GNC gun-firing incident, Hadia declined.

When asked if the LROR could be depended upon to defend Tripoli and that they were absent when other security incursions occurred, the LROR head said that the LROR had done much work in protecting the city – work that may not be obviously known to the general public.

Asked if the GNC ultimately votes to dissolve the LROR, would they accept the decision? Hadia retorted that the work they perform was a national duty and that he was happy to give up his role.

Asked why would the LROR not join the official security forces individually, Hadia said that all members were free to join the security forces, and added that he was in full support of the formation of official security forces.

However, he added tellingly, in what could be interpreted by some as a veiled threat, or by others as referring to other outside threats, that as long as those who made the decision to dissolve the LROR accepted the consequences of the decision.

With regards to the GNC’s decision to form an investigative decision into the LD 900 million that was paid to the thuwar groups, including the LROR, Hadia said that he was perfectly happy to cooperate with the committee. “We are ready to account for every penny”, added Hadia.

In fact, Hadia felt that the GNC was not  spending adequately on the LROR in order that they can perform their work.

[/restrict]

Tags: GNCLibya Revolutionary Operations RoomLROR

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Bomb defused outside Benghazi hospital

Bomb defused outside Benghazi hospital

Saif Al-Islam gives one-minute TV interview

Saif Al-Islam gives one-minute TV interview

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.