No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Army rules of engagement needed: Minister of Defence Abdullah Al-Thini

bySami Zaptia
November 22, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 22 November 2013:

Defence Minister Abdullah Al-Thini revealed that the “rules of engagement needed to be . . .[restrict]established” for his regular Libyan soldiers before they could be fully deployed on the streets.

Answering questions at Tuesday’s GNC  session, the Defence Minister questioned what would be the legal position of his soldiers if they were forced to open fire on civilians at this time?

What would their position be, he asked rhetorically, with regards to the law, but also with regards to religious and social norms and practices with regards to compensation or blood money, for example, he added.

RELATED POSTS

Hafter praises the PC and says Qatar is arming Libyan terrorists

Ghwell said his fighters withdrew to prevent further damage in Tripoli

The Defence Minister had been speaking at the GNC which had called in Prime Minister Ali Zeidan and his ministers for questioning in the aftermath of the Gharghour massacre at which nearly 50 had died and 500 were injured.

Much speculation has been taking place all over Libya since the appearance of hundreds, if not thousands, of regular security personnel in the form of police and army at various crossroads and locations in the capital.

The speculation has been centred around the question of, if the authorities had had regular police and army personnel in such numbers at their disposal, why had they not deployed them before?

In the past, it was suspected that the newly established post-17 February Libyan state did not have adequate numbers of regular security personnel in order to perform their security mandate.

It was also speculated by analysts and political commentators that whilst the new authorities may have obtained enough recruits, they were still raw and untrained, unprepared for front line deployment amongst civilians.

It was also feared that regular army and police personnel had the moral burden of having to deal with the negative Qaddafi era. There were fears that they would lack a moral legitimacy out on the streets, unlike the thuwar/militias.

Specifically with regards to the thuwar/militias, this issue of moral legitimacy could have led to friction and even out-and-out armed confrontation out on the streets. The GNC and government would have found itself in the awkward situation of having to at best referee between the two “legitimate” sides, or being forced to come down on one side against the other.

Whether the thuwar were seen as the wrong doers or the regular forces, it would have not been good for the morale of either at a time when the weak state needs both sides – in the short term at least.

However, it seems from the Minister of Defence’s brief revelation at the GNC about the subject, that the issue of legal cover, or rules of engagement, for regular troops may have been at the heart of their lack of deployment.

[/restrict]

Tags: Defence Minister Abdullah Al-ThiniGharghourGNCrules of engagementsoldiersZeidan

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Zeidan determined to remove all militias from Tripoli bases

GNC mission and Misrata Shura Council discuss reconciliation

GNC mission and Misrata Shura Council discuss reconciliation

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.