No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan determined to remove all militias from Tripoli bases

bySami Zaptia
July 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 22 November 2013:

Speaking at the handover ceremony by the Sawaq brigade of their Islamic Call Society site on . . .[restrict]Thursday, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, flanked by five Ministers, remembered the historical significance of 21 November 1949.

Zeidan reminded his overwhelmingly young audience that it was on this historic day that the UN granted Libya its independence. He paid tribute to King Idris I and his generation who had to steer Libya through similar difficult times.

Turning to the day’s event, Zeidan paid tribute to the “spirite of the thuwar (militias) for obeying the GNC’s  and therefore, the public’s wishes.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government confirms three track security policy: supporting regular army, ending gangs and armed outlaw groups and maintaining stability

Mouta’alleq 3 Project holds Job Fair for ex-militias

“The Sawaq brigade had chose on its own initiative to implement Law 27, especially after, last Friday, which was a warning that weapons outside the hands of the official security forces is a danger”, Zeidan added.

Probably answering some criticism that only certain militias from certain regions or of a particular religious or political orientation would leave Tripoli, the Prime Minister said “we will continue to implement this law with force and determination.

If any refuse”, he added, either hinting that some militias were dragging their feet, or seeking to send them a coded warning, “we would be forced to reveal them to the public”, he warned.

“Weapons are a danger to their users and to the public. I called for a strong position by the public, and they responded. We will not stop implementing this law. This is the beginning”.

Hinting at the possibility of taking a stronger hand against reluctant militias, Zeidan signaled  that in the past he “had been flexible and sympathetic, not out of weakness”, but because he “valued Libyan citizens.

Equally, responding to criticism that he has been weak and unwilling to use force against the militias, Zeidan said “we don’t use force unless we are forced to. And we will use force within the confines of the law”.

Zeidan sought to calm the general public after the sad deaths at Gharghour and went out of his way to warn against regional divisiveness.

He stressed that the Ministry of Interior will continue to allow peaceful, civilian demonstrations, but that demonstrations should confine themselves to the permitted areas.

The Prime Minister was undoubtedly very keen to avoid any further marches by civilians on militia bases, with the possibility of further bloody consequences. Anyone who leaves the pre-designated route or area of the licenced demonstration will be considered “outside the law”, he stressed. [/restrict]

Tags: brigadeGNCmilitiassecurity forcesthuwarweapons

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
GNC mission and Misrata Shura Council discuss reconciliation

GNC mission and Misrata Shura Council discuss reconciliation

Libya raises profile at Dubai Air Show

Libya raises profile at Dubai Air Show

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.