No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Latest shortage: Libyana top-up cards

bythomwestcott
September 7, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Latest shortage: Libyana top-up cards

Libyan Post Telecommunications and Information Holding Company (LPTIC) denied that its subsidiary, the Libyana Mobile Phone Company, had been hacked (Photo: Libyana).

By Seraj Essul and Aimen Eljali.

Libyana logo

Tripoli, 6 September, 2013:

Top-up cards for Libyana, . . .[restrict]one of the state-owned mobile phone networks, are the latest essential to be in short supply across the country, following industrial action that began last week.

The strikes have apparently stopped new batches of top-up phone-cards being distributed. Some shopkeepers in Tripoli have been taking advantage of the dwindling supplies by demanding LD 8 for cards which normally retail at LD 5.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Almadar Aljadid was the fastest mobile operator in Libya during Q3 2022

Stocks of both LD 5 and LD 10 top-up cards are reportedly running particularly low in Benghazi, where shopkeepers say they are down to the last batches.

Libyana staff across the country have been on strike, demanding that Chinese telecoms firms ZTE and Huawai be given contracts to install infrastructure for 3G and 4G technologies. One protestor told the Libya Herald that the Ministry of Communications was considering awarding the deals to different companies but this, he said, would cost LD 130 million more.

“The difference is actually LD 31 million,” Ministry of Communications Undersecretary, Mohammed Bilras Ali, told the Libya Herald. He said that a better network would cost more money, adding: “Libya is worth it.”

Ali said the two Chinese firms had provided 73 percent of the equipment currently being used and that not all of this had been of good quality. The ministry wanted to ensure that no firms had a monopoly, he said, explaining: “We don’t want any company to have more than 20-30 percent and have that much control.”

Ali said that Libyana employees were also demanding that ten percent of the company’s profits be divided amongst the workforce. “They are not going to get ten percent,” Ali said, “you can’t get a salary, rewards and profits.”

The strikers nevertheless are adamant that they will continue their industrial action until their demands are met. They have threatened to stop Libyana mobile phone services altogether. However, Ali said that this was unlikely, as it would provoke an angry response from the public. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaLibyanaMinistry of Communicationsprice hikesshortagestelecomstop-up cards

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Moscow says Libya ready to release two Russian engineers

Justice Minister says Anoud still kidnapped

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.