No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Libya Shield Protests: at least 27 dead

byMichel Cousins
June 10, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi Libya Shield Protests: at least 27 dead

Potestors at the

By Ayman Amzein and Maha Ellawati.

Protestors take cover in fighting at Libya Shield headquarters

Benghazi, 9 June 2013:

The death toll in fighting yesterday outside a military headquarters in Benghazi has . . .[restrict]left at least 27 people dead and 70 injured. According to Benghazi Congressman Ahmed Langhi, the death toll is 30. Other reports put the figure at 35.  A Libya Herald reporter counted the bodies of 25 victims of the violence in the city’s Jalaa Hospital.

The fighting started when as many as 200 protestors gathered outside the headquarters of the First Brigade of the Libya Shield forces (Deraa 1) in the Sidi Khalifa district in eastern Benghazi, demanding it vacate the premises and disband.

The Shield forces operate under the army but are seen as largely independent.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

What happened next is unclear. According to Congressman Langhi, the protestors “were unarmed” but then others weapons came and joined them.  Who fired the first shots has not been disclosed.  One report claims that protestors managed to force their way into the headquarters firing into the air and that Shield forces then fired back at them.

The Shield forced leader Wisam Bin Hamid reportedly said that he told his men to stop firing because he did not want more bloodshed but also told them not to leave their posts.

The headquarters were eventually secured by the army’s Special Forces. Ben Hamed is said to have handed himself into their custody for safe protection. It is also reported, however, that a number of the protestors managed to take guns from the headquarters.

Protestors at the Libya Shield 1 headquarters

Many of the dead were taken to the city’s Jalaa Hospital which has published the names of the 25 seen by the Libya Herald. Most are thought to have been protestors although one Shield member, Ali Tarhouni, has been reported saying that a number of his colleagues had also been killed.  According to the spokesperson for Benghazi’s joint security room, Colonel Abdallah El-Shaeify, five members of the Shield Brigade were killed as Special Forces moved to gain control of the camp.

El-Shaeify said that several were injured during the offensive to capture the headquarters when there was a large explosion. Of those injured, the majority were taken to Benghazi’s Jalaa Hospital, were some died to the severity of their wounds.

It is not yet known who organised the protest although it is claimed that some of the protestors were federalists, others simply wanting an end to any military organisations other than the regular army and the police. One report says that some of the protestors were involved in a land ownership dispute over the Shield headquarters.

Benghazi has seen a swathe of assassinations and attacks on security officials and buildings over the past year and a half but yesterday’s incident is the worst since the slaying in the city of US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other US diplomatic personnel on 11 September last year.

“It’s a sad day for Benghazi but hopefully it will be an end of the story,” said Congressman Langhi, referring to the lawlessness that has hit the city and the country.  “The mess has to end,” he said.

Congress is discussing the deadly incident today.

Libya Shield 1 is directly under the control of Chief of Staff Major-General Yousef Mangoush. It is has a reputation of being pro-Islamist, unlike Shield 2 which is considered more sympathetic to the federalists.

With input from Nihal Zaroug [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibyaLibya Shield

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Prime Minister calls Benghazi killings “a tragedy for all Libya”; calls for restraint

Mangoush resigns

Mangoush resigns

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.