No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Top level mediation ends tensions between Tajoura and Misrata

byMichel Cousins
June 2, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Defence Minister Barghathi at the Murad Agha Mosque with the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadek Al-Gharan
Defence Minister Barghathi at the Murad Agha Mosque with . . .[restrict]the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadek Al-Gharan
Defence Minister Mhamed Barghathi at the Murad Agha Mosque with the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadek Al-Ghariani

Tripoli, 31 May, 2013:

Threats of clashes between Tajoura and Misrata subsided today after three Tajoura men seized by Misratan brigadesmen were released and the brigade agreed to quit its Tajoura base. A number of Misratan truck drivers, seized by Tajoura in reprisal for the abduction were also released.

The agreement followed intense mediation in Tajourna by a top-level Government and Congress delegation. The seriousness of the situation was evidenced by the fact that it included the Defence Minister Mohamed Barghathi, Chief of Staff Yousef Mangoush, the acting President of Congress Juma Ateega, himself from Misrata, and the Deputy President, Saleh Al-Makhzoum.  Also involved were other Congress members from the two towns, Abdurrahaman Sewehli and Salahadeen Badi from Misrata and Mohamed Sasi and Mahmoud Ghariani from Tajoura, as well as local elders and members of the respective town and military councils.

Tensions had been growing in Tajoura after locals demanded that the Al-Marsa Al-Kubra brigade from Misrata quit the Rahbat Al-Durua camp in the town. They accused brigade members of behaving badly towards local people.

The three men seized by the brigade and sent to Misrata were said to be members of a group planning a demonstration at the camp today which was intended to force the Misratans out.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

Their seizure resulted in a delegation from Misrata heading to Tajoura earlier yesterday to try and resolve the situation. However, talks were inconclusive. As a result, it was reported that Tajoura revolutionaries had threatened to attack Misrata.  Tajoura Local Council and its Military Council moved to rein in the revolutionaries but locals reconfirmed the plan for the demonstration today. It would be peaceful, they said, but insisted the Misratans would be forced out.

With the threat of violence mounting, the authorities brought in the big guns to diffuse the situation.

The Misratans quit the base today following the agreement.

The site is owned by the Ministry of Sports and Youth. It is where it plans to build a 60,000-seat international football stadium for the 2017 Africa Cup which Libya is to host.

Later, addressing worshippers at Tajoura’s Murad Agha Mosque before Friday prayers, Barghathi said that the site had  ben handed over to the Sports Ministry and that his ministry would surrender all camps in Tajoura if needed by the local council for projects. Members of the local council as did the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadek Al-Ghariani. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdulrahman SewehlifeaturedJuma AteegaLibyaMisrataMohamed BarghathiShaikh Sadek Al-GharianiTajouraYousef Mangoush

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Libyan Airlines cabin crew to strike tomorrow

Libyan Airlines cabin crew to strike tomorrow

Arts MA scholarship for London study

Arts MA scholarship for London study

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.