No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Niger president claims bombers came from Libya

byMichel Cousins
September 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Niger president claims bombers came from Libya

Nger Presden

By Michel Cousins.

Nigerien President Mahamadou Issoufou

Tripoli, 25 May 2013:

Nigerien President Mahamadou Issoufou has claimed that that the suicide bombers who carried out the two . . .[restrict]deadly attacks in the north of the country had come from Libya.

At least 19 people, almost all of them soldiers, were killed on Thursday in a suicide bomb attack at a barracks in the town of Agadez and another died in an attack at a uranium mine in Arlit further north on the road heading towards the Algerian border. The mine is run by a French company.

Some six militants also died in the attacks.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan government delegation meets – US Department of Energy – discusses developing oil and gas sector and strategic energy projects

Tripoli Transport Minister seeking to activate Transit Roads to Niger and Sudan

“The assailants, according to all the information that we’ve acquired, came from southern Libya,” Issoufou told TV news channel France 24 today. He called Libya “a destabilising force” in the region.

Responsibility for the two attacks has been claimed by Mokhtar Belmokhtar, leader of the Islamist militant group behind the January assault on the In Amenas gas complex in Algeria, just across the border from Libya, in which at least 39 foreign oil workers were killed. An Algerian security guard also died as did 29 militants.

Algeria has likewise since the January attack insisted that many of the militants entered from Libya. The Algerian media reported that they wore Libyan military uniforms and drove vehicles with Libya licence plates.

President Issoufou’s assertion today about the bombings, which so far has drawn no Libyan government response, follows a similar statement three weeks ago by his Foreign Minister, Mohamed Bazoum, that Libya posed a increasing danger to its neighbours and that the major powers should strike Islamist militants whom he claimed were based in the south of the country.

At the time, the Prime Minster, Al Zeidan, responded to Bazoum’s statement and a similar allegation from Chad’s president that Libya was harbouring rebels saying that  Libya was not a source of threat to any of its neighbours.

If the Nigerien and Algerian allegations are true, it would indicate that Belmokhtar has established one or more bases in southern Libya.

There have been several claims to this effect.

Last year, it was alleged that there was an Al-Qaeda-linked cell in Obari. Later in the year, Tebu military leader Isa Abdul Majid confirmed the existence of a cell to the Libya Herald but said it had gone underground. Last month, however, there were renewed reports of Islamist militants in the town. [/restrict]

Tags: Al-QaedaalgeriafeaturedLibyaniger

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Tripoli footbridge damaged by high load on truck

Tripoli footbridge damaged by high load on truck

Congress approves Mohamed Sheikh as new Interior Minister

Congress approves Mohamed Sheikh as new Interior Minister

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.