No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mangoush looks to build “an army to protect the constitution, the nation and its citizens”

bySami Zaptia
January 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 5 January:

Introducing the Chief of Staff Yousef Mangoush at Thursday’s press conference, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan opened by saying . . .[restrict]“I take this opportunity to salute members of the army who have resumed their work. I have given instructions that all personnel must return to work otherwise we will take all necessary steps. We don’t want to do this, but we will if we have to. Refusing to return to work is unacceptable”

Zeidan was referring to the thousands of security personnel from the army or police who are receiving their salaries but refuse to return to work after the end of the fighting and the revolution.

Mangoush said: “There was a conspiracy before the 17 February Revolution to destroy the army. It had no equipment, no basic supplies or training. It had its allegiance directed to a dictator and not a nation.

RELATED POSTS

Expertise France and the NOC’s Petroleum Training and Rehabilitation Institute in Sebha sign a training MoU

Indian Embassy to resume issuing visas from Tripoli soon – sends more Libyans for training in India

“Now we are taking a number of steps to activate the army and reorganize it. We want an army to protect the constitution, the nation and its citizens based on democracy and legitimacy”.

Unveiling his vision for Libya’s new army, Mangoush said that Libya will have “a small army but with high specifications and using modern technology and well trained personnel capable to deal with any threats”.

Mangoush said that refurbishment of some barracks and military installations had already started in line with his new plans. He admitted that the army had to work with what it had as a result of the destruction of sites and equipment during the revolution.

He admitted that Libya needed help from friendly countries training its armed forces, saying about 3,000 men have been sent for training abroad so far.

“We have presented our proposals to the General National Congress (GNC) Committee to present our needs and to ask that a White Paper be prepared by the end of this month. We need certain quantities of jets, helicopters and naval units to ensure our defences. After 15 months all sites should have been refurbished and there is also a plan for the airports,” Mangoush explained.

“The revolutionaries will be the building block of the army. There is a lot of work to be done and we face many challenges. Our aim has been set and our plan is in place,” Mangoush concluded. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali Zeidanarmychief of staffconstitutiondemocracyequipmentFebruary 17 RevolutionGNChelicoptersjetslegitimacyLibyanavalpolicepress conferencePrime MinisterrevolutiontrainingTripoliYousef Mangoush

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Federalism on the rise in Benghazi

Federalism on the rise in Benghazi

Police unveil new design for patrol cars

Police unveil new design for patrol cars

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.