No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Deputy Prime Minister Barasi promises action by the current government

bySami Zaptia
December 30, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 29 December:

At a press conference held at the Prime Minister’s Office on Thursday (27th December), Deputy Prime Minister . . .[restrict]Awad Al-Barasi warned against the abuse of the freedom and right to demonstrate and hold civic disobedience actions and promised that the government will deliver.

Referring to the numerous and often debilitating strikes, blockages and civic disobedience actions that have been held all over the country since Libya’s Liberation in November last year, Barasi felt that these actions went “beyond the right to demonstrate”.

The Libya Herald asked the Deputy Prime Minister about the contradicting news regarding the reining-in of weapons, the consolidation of the thuwar (revolutionaries)  into the official government security forces and the breaking-up of the SSC.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Barasi referred again to statements by Interior Minister Shuwail on the matter and reiterated the government’s call to all militias to either join the official government forces or disband.

The Libya Herald also asked the Deputy Prime Minister about the 2013 budget, its anticipated size and weather he was prepared to offer any insights.

“We had asked every ministry to present their budget proposals by November/December for discussion. We hope to present our proposed budget to the GNC by the end of December or early January so that it is ready for approval by the end of January.”

“We hope to avoid the budget delays of last year”, Barasi stressed without giving any hints as to the anticipated size of the budget.

A LD 68.5-billion budget was announced for 2012. But it is believed that conservative spending by the Al-Kib government resulted in only a fraction of being spent. This was partially due to the Kib government’s fear of corruption and the lack of institutional monitoring capabilities.

Responding to questions regarding the demonstrations by the thuwar that had led to the blockage of the Zawia refinery and the unfulfilled subsequent promises by the government to treat their war wounds abroad, Barasi stressed that the government “had barely started” and that it was awaiting the new budget.

He also said that government officials had visited Germany to implement the matter but because of the Christmas holidays it was taking longer to proccess sending the injured thuwar abroad for medical treatment.

He condemned their the blockading of the Zawia oil refinery and stressed that the government would from now on deal with such actions “in all seriousness”.

The Deputy Prime Minister was then asked to contrast the performance of the previous government, in which he was Minister of Electricity, and this government. Was this government going to deliver more, he was asked.

Barasi admitted that it was challenging for the previous Kib government and said that this current Zeidan government would operate as a crises management government. People would see the difference in the performance of this government he promised.

He highlighted the fact that he had just returned from a few days in Benghazi and he felt that the government had stabilised the situation there;

He also revealed, as another example of tangible achievements by the present government, the work they are doing on the electricity supply. “We expect power shortages in 2013 and will be holding meetings today to try to prevent this. I hope to visit the south and open a power plant in Obari”.

“You will see progress”, Barasi stressed.

“We will be presenting laws to the GNC in the next few days such as on Interim Justice and on the criminalization of torture. We are a newborn government. But we will talk of action and you will witness progress”, Barasi promised. [/restrict]

Tags: Al-KibBenghazibudgetcrises managementdemonstrationsdeputy prime ministerfreedomGNCgovernmentinjuredLibyamedicalmilitiasnewsoilpowerrefineryrevolutionariesSSCthuwartreatmentTripoliwarweaponswoundedZawiaZeidan

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Tripoli Local Council organizes economic forum

Tripoli Local Council organizes economic forum

Twenty Somalis killed in accident on Khoms-Zliten road

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.