No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Boxers prepare for first Tripoli tournament since 1979

byGeorge Grant
November 22, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Boxers prepare for first Tripoli tournament since 1979

A Libyan Mohammed Ali stands over a defeated Muammar Qaddafi, who banned boxing in 1979.

By Mohammed Elsharif.

A Libyan Mohammed Ali stands over a defeated Muammar Qaddafi, who banned boxing in 1979.

Tripoli, 22 November:

Tripoli’s first boxing tournament in more than three decades begins this evening, Thursday, in what used to . . .[restrict]be the capital’s official boxing hall before Qaddafi banned the sport in 1979.

Some ten newly formed Tripoli clubs will compete in the Akasha hall in the tournament, which has been organised by the new Boxing Federation and will run today and Friday.

“It’s an opportunity to officially bring the sport back to Libya”, said Nasser Eden, a former boxing champion and now coach of the Mahalla boxing team. “This will be the first of many events.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Benghazi previously held its own inaugural boxing tournament two months ago.

All participating boxers gathered at midday Wednesday for the official weigh-in, with the weights recorded by a team of trained judges who assigned each competitor to his proper weight class. The boxers then turned their attention to the lists of matches hung on each wall, where the competitors discover the name of their opponents.

Boxers from a wide range of weights and ages are competing, including twins Motassim and Motaz Agila, aged 15, who are almost impossible to tell apart.

“I just don’t want to fight my brother” said Motassim, explaining that the two have been sparring partners from the day they got into the game together eight months ago.

As the opening of the tournament approached this afternoon, the hall filled with boxers and spectators eagerly awaiting the coming matches.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for me”, said Hmeda Masallem, a light heavyweight boxer standing 196 cm tall. Recalling how he used to watch boxing matches as child, but never had the privilege of participating himself, Masallem says bluntly: “I want to win no matter what”.

Prior to being banned, boxing was one of the major sports in Libya, with athletes competing at the Olympics and many other tournaments. The former dictator was notoriously hostile to sport, however, viewing it as a medium through which alternative “heroes” could be created to rival himself.

Famously, Qaddafi even went to the length of banning sports commentators from referring to any Libyan footballer by his name, meaning that resorted instead to using the numbers on the strip only. Qaddafi’s footballing son Saadi, needless to say, was exempt from this moratorium.

Now, Libya’s new generation of boxing say they want to revive the sport back to it’s glory days.

“I’m ready”, said Masallem, as he looked for the name of his opponent hanging on the wall. “I want to make it to the Olympics.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: boxingGaddafiLibyaQaddafiTripoli

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Magarief announces delivery of $200m development package to Tunisia, delay in recognising new Syrian opposition

New Benghazi police chief appointed just hours after rejection of previous nominee

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.