No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Armed group commits murder at fake checkpoint near Tripoli airport

byGeorge Grant
September 5, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Armed group commits murder at fake checkpoint near Tripoli airport

All of those involved are believed to be from the Nafusa Mountains. (Photo: George Grant)

By George Grant.

All of those involved are believed to be from the Nafusa Mountains. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 5 September:

An armed group has used a fake checkpoint situated between Aziziya and Tripoli to murder at least . . .[restrict]one man, and possibly three, and reportedly kidnap seven others.

The checkpoint was located at the Zahra Bridge, less than ten kilometres west of Tripoli international airport, and those responsible are said to be from the Warshefana tribe.

On Monday, a Zintani man called Khaled Mohammed Khabashi was stopped at the checkpoint whilst travelling with his mother and shot through the head.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

It has also been reported that two other men were murdered at the checkpoint, one from Qalaa and the other from Kabaw, although this has not been independently verified. The Qalaa man was said to have been killed on Monday and the Kabaw man yesterday, Tuesday.

All three towns are situated in the Nafusa Mountains southwest of Tripoli.

The motivation of the attackers remains unclear, but it has also been reported that the men used the checkpoint to temporarily detain seven men from Jadu, also on Monday, allegedly in retaliation for the arrest of a car thief from the Warshefana.

Yesterday evening it was being reported that both the thief and the hostages were released following an agreed exchange and that the assailants from the checkpoint had fled, possibly to Bani Walid.

Under Qaddafi, many prominent members of the security services were drawn from the Wershafana, and the tribe largely supported the regime during last year’s revolution.

The Zintan Local Council has issued a statement condemning the attacks and calling on both the government and the National Congress to take action.

“We deplore and condemn such acts of banditry and the terrorising of innocent people, [and] we urge the government, the National Congress and the Ministries of Interior and Defense to perform their duties in providing and maintaining security as well as providing public safety on the roads and not to allowed any encroachments on unarmed citizens.

“We also call on the Ministry of Interior to intensify their presence in all main gates and check points around the clock and to make sure that the official security personnel use official marked vehicles and wear formal uniforms. All official gates/checkpoints must be announced publically so that all citizens are aware of and trust [in their authenticity].

“We request that the assailants involved in this tragic incident are found and prosecuted; they must brought to justice in order to avoid the same happening again.”

Khalid Al-Zintani, the head of Zintan’s media office, said that this is not the first of its kind to take place in the area, although it is believed to be the first time that murder has occurred.

“Many incidents of abuses, ill-treatment and violations, such as assaults, robbery, kidnapping and confiscation of cars reportedly have taken place in this same spot. The victims were innocent passers-by or unarmed citizens”, he said.

“This time, however, it is a human life that has been lost and not property”. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Update – Senussi extradited to Libya; transferred to Hadba prison

Update - Senussi extradited to Libya; transferred to Hadba prison

Government struck financial deal with Mauritania over Senussi handover

Government struck financial deal with Mauritania over Senussi handover

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.