No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

More clashes in Kufra; three reported killed

byMichel Cousins
June 10, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 9 June:

Fresh clashes in the south-eastern town of Kufra between Tebus and government forces today claimed the lives of at . . .[restrict]least three men.  The dead include a field commander of the government’s Libya Shield forces. He has been named as Essam Khafifi.  Also killed was one Tebu man.  As many as five members of the Shield forces were also reported wounded. The same number of Tebu were also reported injured.

The fighting took place in the town’s Qaderfi district, Market Street, Shara Dakhalia and near a local school.  The district is largely Tebu-inhabited.

Three days ago, the Libya Shield forces gave Tebu militiamen in the town a 24-hour ultimatum to allow them into Qaderfi and Swaidiya district or they would move in by force. The ultimatum was ignored. The leader of the Tebus in south-west Libya, Isa Abdul-Majid, said at the time that any attempt by the Shield forces to enter the two districts would be “disastrous”.

According to officials, the Shield forces did not intervene until now.

RELATED POSTS

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

As usual, however, there are diametrically opposed versions of what caused the latest clashes.  “The Tebu launched an attack on the city, the army responded and fighting is continuing,” a member of the local council, Muftah Abukhalil, is reported as saying.

Abdul-Majid, on the other hand, has blamed the government forces saying they attacked a number of Tebus on Friday night at a petrol station.  He also accused the head of the Libyan Shield forces, Wisam Bin Hamid, of ordering a bombardment of Tebu areas, claiming that women and children had been injured.  They could not get to hospital, he said, because it was under the control of the Shield forces

However, the commander of Kufra operations room Faraj Boushaala told Libya’s Tadamon News Agency that the clashes were the result of a personal dispute between an individual Tebu and some members of the Shield forces, but did  not elaborate.  The latter, he said, did not want to take sides and had been ordered to withdraw.  However, that an agreement had been reached to hand over the individual Tebu concerned, he added.

According to Tadamon, Tebu residents are trapped in Swaidiya and are unaware of exactly what is happening in the rest of the town.  It also reports that blood supplies are running low in the hospital and that the local radio station had put out an appeal for people to come and donate blood. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libyans sentenced in Tunisian court

ICC boss demands lawyers' release

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.