No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Clashes in Ghadames; Tuareg Leader Isa Talaly and 9 Others Killed

byMichel Cousins
May 17, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Umar Khan

Tripoli, 16 May:

The desert town of Ghadames on the border . . .[restrict]with Algeria saw heavy clashes on Wednesday morning when the city was attacked by a group of Tuareg people. Tuareg leader Eesa Talaly and eight others were killed in subsequent clashes that lasted for more than seven hours. One man from the brigade of Ghadames was also killed with more than 20 people injured. The man killed from Ghadames was named Hadi Abu Zmala.

According to a security official of the Ghadames Brigade, Yaqoub Davi, the Tuareg were gathering forces for many days in a place locally known as “Indian Company”, 70 kilometers away from Ghadames.

Yaqoub said “they attacked the ’50-km checkpoint’ three days ago. It was under the control of National Army. They had light weapons and were unable to defend their positions. There is only one brigade in Ghadames, which is under the National Army. We could not retaliate without orders from the chief of staff.”

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Yaqoub added that  “our head of the local council went to Tripoli and met General Yousef Mangoush, the army chief and he promised to send special forces from Benghazi but they never came.” He continued: “We were expecting the attack and today they (Tuareg) attacked us with mortar rockets and 106mm [anti-tank weapons].”  He also said that the shelling was random and hospital and civilian houses were damaged. Yaqoub added,:“We told the Tuareg people living inside Ghadames to stay in their houses to avoid any regrettable incident. Thank God, none happened.”

The clashes that lasted for more than seven hours were ended with the brigade of Ghadames taking back the airport and establishing complete control over the city. “We fought back and they started to retreat. We swept the whole area and took control of the airport; everything was under control by midafternoon. Nine Tuareg were killed including their leader Isa Talaly.  We are not sure about their injured fighters as they took them to some unknown location,” Yaqoub said.

When asked about the Tuareg living inside Ghadames, Yaqoub insists they were no different than any Arabs living in Ghadames. He said: “We are brothers; we have lived together for ages. The group of Tuareg people who attacked Ghadames today is the same one who fought for Qaddafi. They fled the city after the liberation of Tripoli and have been trying to destabalise Ghadames ever since.”

Ghadames has seen number of clashes since its liberation. A large number of Tuareg fled the town in September fearing reprisals after the fall of Qaddafi regime. The most serious incident took place last year when more than 10 local residents from Ghadames were kidnapped by the Tuareg, only to be released three  weeks later when the higher authorities intervened.

Libya is set to hold the first elections in more than four decades on 19 June and with incidents such as  this seen as undermining the security of the country, it will be important to see how the interim government reacts to such incidents to impose its authority and a ensure secure environment for the upcoming elections.

Umar Khan can be found at twitter.com/umarnkhan [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Bank employees stage demonstrations following murder of colleagues in armed robbery

Head of Benghazi Medical Centre wounded after refusing to resign on instructions of Benghazi Local Council

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.