No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Row between Serraj and the CBL’s Elkaber deepens as public anger rises

byNigel Ash
October 27, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Mahti.

The queues at Jumhuriya bank, Bab Ben Ghasheer, snaked all the way out to the street (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
A typical Tripoli bank queue for cash (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 27 October 2016:

Crowds have again been massing outside banks today in the hope of being able to withdraw cash following the arrival of a second delivery yesterday of LD 400-million-worth of new banknotes.

The delivery from a British money printing company was announced today by the Central Bank of Libya (CBL) on its Facebook page.  There was a similar LD 400-million shipment last week.  A third delivery of another LD 200m is expected in the next few days.

Despite last week’s delivery and reports that the banks are letting customers withdraw up to LD1000 a month, residents in the capital complain that the maximum they are being allowed is actuallyLD200, and in many cases nothing at all.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“Where is the money going”? one resident asked this newspaper, suggesting that the CBL was actively trying to stir up resentment against the Presidency Council.

The CBL, though, says that it has been distributing cash to banks “throughout Libya”. It mentions in particular eastern Libya, Sebha, Jufra, Obari, Ghat, Misrata, Jebel Nafusa and the area west of Tripoli.  But not the capital, home to over a third of the country’s population.

After Serraj in a Sunday Alassema TV interview was highly critical of Saddek Elkaber’s management of the bank and its failure to end the liquidity crisis, the CBL governor yesterday came out fighting accusing the chairman of the Presidency Council of ruining the country’s economy by failing to produce effective economic programmes.

He maintained that the PC had not acted on the CBL’s advice. Specifically he said that in January  this year, which was when the PC was still working from Tunis, the CBL working with the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and local financial experts had presented a wide-ranging financial plan that it believed it was able to fund.

In a letter to Serraj which has been leaked, Elkaber said yesterday “You made accusations  without defining specific cases in which you thought that the bank has failed to discharge its obligations”.

Serraj had accused the CBL of not protecting the value of the dinar. Elkaber retorted that he had presented the PC with a plan to halt the currency’s slide but that it could not start selling hard currencies because of the low oil export income.

Moreover, Elkaber said the the CBL gave the PC LD1.5 billion as an emergency budget to be paid in three instalments.

In normal circumstances such a serious confrontation between a central bank governor and a government chief would damage international confidence. With no such confidence to damage, the likely consequence is a further decline in the value of the dinar which today was reported to have hit LD5.25 to the dollar on the black market.

Tags: bank queuesCBLfeaturedLibyaSaddek ElkaberSerraj

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Fears of fresh fighting between Zawia and Wirshefana after slaying of three Zawia men

Benghazi militants admit it was their supply ships sunk in Misrata on Sunday

Benghazi militants admit it was their supply ships sunk in Misrata on Sunday

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.