No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Massive turnout in Nalut for Libya-Libya dialogue meeting; ends in agreement despite initial disputes over flag and anthem

byMichel Cousins
September 20, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 18 September 2016:

Well of a thousand delegates (some of those attending put the figure at 2,000)  from across Libya, meeting in Nalut, have agreed that the use of force should be limited to the military and police. They also called for all Libyans abroad to be allowed to return home.  A number of committee were set up to continue the conference’s initial work on national reconciliation .

The meeting, which had no foreign or UNSMIL backing or presence, was the biggest reconciliation effort to occur so far since the collapse of central authority in mid 2014. It was organised primarily by Nalut and Zintan municipalities but also had the support of the House of Representatives and the Libyan National Army in the east, but not of the Presidency Council (PC). The PC’s defence minister, Mahdi Al-Barghathi, reportedly ordered it not to take place. Khalifa Hafter, on the other hand, authorised the use of a military plane to fly 150 prominent figures from the east.

There were members of the House of Representatives and delegates from all the tribes in the south, west and east, including the Barasa, Obeidat, Hassa, Drissa, and Magharba, from the Amazigh, Tebu and Tuareg communities and from almost every town and city –although the town of Rahibat, between Nalut and Zintan, has since complained that it never received an invitation. Attendees included at least one member member of the Senussi royal family, Idris Abdullah Abed Al-Senussi. There was also a group of Qaddafi loyalists who like several of the others had crossed from Tunisia via the Wazen-Dahiba border point. Local residents offered accommodation to the visitors although such were the numbers that many had to sleep in local schools and other institutions.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

There was initial disagreement on Friday at the first meeting which took place in the main mosque when the group of some 20 Qaddafi loyalists said they would not accept the use of the independence flag and anthem. In response, Misratan and other delegates said that if they were not used they would leave. This was resolved when the organisers said that because they were meeting in a mosque there would be no flags and no anthem. On Saturday, however, it was made clear to the Qaddafi loyalists, most of whom had travelled from Egypt, that the independence anthem and flag were a red line and there could be no discussion on the matter.

They appear to have accepted this.

They were a number of other disagreements during Friday and the main meeting on Saturday but “there was a willingness to find solutions to Libya’s problems” as one prominent attendee put it, while requesting anonymity.  It was “very positive”, he said, noting the example that both Misratan and Tawerghan delegates had used the gathering to confirm their recent peace deal.

However, he and others who returned to Tunis last night expressed disappointment that at no one from UNSMIL had attended.

Tags: Libyanalut

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Jadhran’s PFG fail to retake Sidra and Ras Lanuf export terminals

Jadhran's PFG fail to retake Sidra and Ras Lanuf export terminals

Bunyan Marsous resumes final assault on IS in Sirte

Bunyan Marsous resumes final assault on IS in Sirte

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Minister of Industry and Minerals discusses with Chinese companies prospects for industrial and investment cooperation

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.