No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Justice Minister demands US returns Bukhatallah

byCallum Paton
June 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Justice Minister demands US returns Bukhatallah

Justice Minister Salah Marghani speaking at the Prime Ministry today (Photo: Prime Ministry)

By Libya Herald Staff.

Justice Minister Salah Marghani speaking at the Prime Ministry today (Photo: Prime Ministry)
Said Al-Aswad and Justice Minister Salah Marghani speaking at the Prime Ministry today (Photo: Prime Ministry)

Tripoli, 18 June 2014:

Justice Minister Salah Marghani has demanded the return of Islamist militia . . .[restrict]leader Ahmed Bukhtallah who was seized in Benghazi by US Special Forces on Sunday.

Speaking at a press conference at the Prime Ministry this afternoon, Marghani, who was accompanied by spokesman for the Foreign Ministry Said Al-Aswad, told journalists that Bukhatallah should be handed over by the US because he was wanted by Libyan authorities.

The Justice Minister said Bukhatallah was being sought in connection with the September 2012 attacks on the US diplomatic premises in Benghazi in which Amercian Ambassador Chris Stephens and three other American citizens died.He added that Bukhatallah had also been charged in relation to “a number of other cases” but did not specify what these cases were.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Aswad called on US authorities to guarantee Bukhatallah his legal and humanitarian rights and said the Foreign Minisrty had instructed the Libyan embassy in Washington to Bukhatallah’s situation and begin proceedings with a view to his extradition.

When asked how Libya could hope to sentence Bukhatallah with Benghazi’s legal system in disarray, Marghani responded: “We need to respect our courts”.

Similarly, when asked why Libyan authorities had not arrested Bukhatallah themselves, he said the security situation in Benghazi had made such a move impossible. He added that the justice apparatus had been waiting for the Islamist commander to turn himself in.

Marghani said the government had had no prior warning of the US special forces’ operation and had no further information as to the circumstances of Bukhatallah’s capture.

Since the news broke yesterday in the in the Washington Post, no hard details relating to Bukhatallah’s capture have emerged.

A source in Benghazi told the Libya Herald he was seized in the south east of the city and that Bukhatallah’s neighbours had claimed he was travelling to have dinner with a member of the Muslim Brotherhood when he was taken.

A source within Benghazi Islamist circles told this paper that those close to Bukhatallah were saying he had been betrayed by a member of his own entourage and believed that he had then taken to a ship anchored close to the shore. The same source said the Islamist leader had been taken by local forces not on Sunday evening but on Monday.

He himself believed Bukhatallah’s arrest would have little impact on the current situation in Benghazi and that his small, insular group had little influence. He added that Bukhtallah had claimed to him personally that he had not had any involvement in the 11 September attacks on the US consulate two years ago.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBukhatallafeaturedUS special forces

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Ministry of Housing approves 836 projects costing LD 892 m in first half of 2014

Ministry of Housing approves 836 projects costing LD 892 m in first half of 2014

Zeidan back in Libya to contest his sacking

Zeidan back in Libya to contest his sacking

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.