No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sebha fuel facility closed by uranium guardsmen demanding unpaid salaries

bythomwestcott
November 13, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sebha fuel facility closed by uranium guardsmen demanding unpaid salaries

Sebha has at least 2,263 tonnes of yellowcake -uranium ore concentrate, which the 10th Brigade guard.

By Seraj Essul and Tom Westcott.

Sebha has at least 2,263 tonnes of yellowcake -uranium ore concentrate, which the 10th Brigade guard.
The 10th Brigade guard at least 2,263 tonnes of yellowcake -uranium ore concentrate – stored at the Sebha facility

Tripoli, 13 November 2013:

One of Sebha’s most important brigades has shut the town’s petrol storage tanks . . .[restrict]and blocked a key road in a dispute over unpaid salaries.

Up to 40 members of the 10th Brigade, which works under the 15th Brigade of the country’s Special Forces, closed the fuel storage facility on Monday demanding overdue salary payments dating back to 2011.

“Although we signed contracts with the Ministry of Defence, we haven’t been paid anything since 25 September 2011,” one of protestors, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Turkey discuss increasing flights, including to Sebha

NDA launches construction of Sebha’s Rose Palace Hotel – implemented by Turkey’s Nova Global company

Although the protestors have closed one road, the main one remains accessible, according to an employee from the facility. “The road between Misrata and Sebha is still open so we are still receiving fuel and storing it, but the problem is that they have closed the road between the storage tanks and the area’s main petrol stations.”

The head of Sebha Local Council, Ayoub Al-Zaroug, told the Libya Herald that the brigade members protesting had been tasked by the Special Forces with guarding stores of uranium, stockpiled under the Qaddafi regime. He said that members of the brigade were still keeping guard over the uranium while others were staging their protest.

Zaroug flew to Tripoli last night for talks with Prime Minister Ali Zeidan to try and resolve the situation. The protesting brigade member told the Libya Herald that, if the salary dispute was not resolved, the next step would be for the 10th Brigade to close Sebha airport.

The Sebha storage facility holds at least 2,263 tonnes of uranium ore concentrate (UOC) – also known as yellowcake – imported from various sources between 1978 and 2002, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). A conversion facility had been planned at Sebha but this was never built. Although Qaddafi renounced his chemical and nuclear weapons programme in 2003, ten years later the stockpiles remain.

A report by UK newspaper The Times last month said that Bharuddin Midhoun Arifi, the commander of an unnamed group in charge of guarding the stockpiles, said that his men were frightened of the uranium. “My men don’t like guarding the site as they believe it will make their skin fall off, so we guard it from a nearby checkpoint,” he reportedly said, adding: “Maybe someone could steal one or two drums if they wanted, but not more.” [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaprotestSebhaunpaid salariesuraniumyellowcake

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Congressman's speech sparks controversy over Tamazight Language

J&C supports extension of GNC, does not want PM dismissed: party official

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.