No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Five months on, GNMTC GM Tawati kidnapped again by armed militias

Kidnapping confirms ‘‘complete absence of control over criminal acts and poor security conditions in Tripoli’’

bySami Zaptia
February 2, 2024
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GNMTC announces its 2020-2023 modernization plan, ship auction

(GNMTC).

Libya’s state General National Maritime Transport Company (GNMTC) announced yesterday that its General Manager, Khalid Al-Tawati, had been kidnapped again. The kidnapping comes only five months after he had suffered a first kidnapping.

Kidnapped from in front of his home
The GNMTC said that last Wednesday (31 January), immediately after the completion of the company’s first Board of Directors meeting for 2024, and immediately after leaving the company’s headquarters to return to his home, accompanied by some of his companions, Al-Tawati and his companions were subjected to an armed attack in front of his house located in the Ghout Al-Shaal area.

Reasons for kidnapping unknown to GNMTC
It reported that an armed group driving two vehicles carrying civilian license plates fired a barrage of bullets and kidnapped them all and then took them to an unknown destination and without any knowledge of the reasons for the kidnapping.

His companions released
The company said after about two hours, Al-Tawati’s companions were released from one of the security sites located in the Al-Falah area near the Iron Bridge, while the kidnapping and forced disappearance of Al-Tawati continued. It says it still does not know the reasons, who is responsible for his kidnapping, and what the health condition of Al-Tawati is. It says this constituted a legal breach of several crimes stipulated in the Penal Code.

Government bears responsibility
The company says the consequences of this criminal act and the full legal responsibility falls on all state institutions, its government, and its security services, without exception, despite their knowledge of the incident.

RELATED POSTS

Overnight Zawia clashes end with civilian injuries and unconfirmed deaths

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Kidnapping confirms ‘‘complete absence of control over criminal acts and poor security conditions in Tripoli’’
It says this matter confirms the complete absence of control over criminal acts and demonstrates the poor security conditions in the capital, Tripoli, and the inability of citizens and institutions to carry out their duties and daily lives in a normal and humane manner.

It says the kidnapping disregards the second circular for the year 2024 of the Prime Minister of the Government of National Unity, issued on January 15, 2024, prohibiting the interference of security and military services in all their names or using their influence in the work of ministries, agencies and civil institutions, and not exerting any pressure on their course of work under any pretext.

The GNMTC called on all legal entities to intervene directly and urgently for the freedom, safety and release of Al-Tawati, without any restrictions or conditions, to ensure the progress of its work in a manner guaranteed by the law for all.

 

Tags: GNMTC General National Maritime Transport Companykidnappingmilitia militiassecurity

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives

Minister of Economy Hwej supervises launch of electronic trademark publication system

Twenty-three dead and 106 injured in Tripoli’s security forces clashes

Italian specialist surgeons arrive in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.