No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libya generates 8,200 MW of electricity for the first time ever: GECOL

Security has enabled foreign technicians to overhaul stations leading to a generation surplus of 2,000 MW - hopes for no power cuts this summer

byIbrahim Senusi
March 20, 2023
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GECOL says all eastern power stations ready to operate

Speaking exclusively to Libya Herald, the Media Spokesperson for the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL), Weam Al-Taeb, confirmed that the generation capacity of power plants in Libya reached 8,200 megawatts (MW) for the first time in the country’s history. He said generation had never exceeded 6,000 MW previously.

Al-Taeb said total energy generation is expected to reach 8,700 MW before the summer peak, and that current consumption ranges between 5,000 to 6,000 MW, leaving a surplus of more than 2,000 MW.

Unprecedented number of overhauls conducted
Explaining the reason for this generation surplus, Al-Ta’eb pointed out that GECOL has carried out a large number of major overhauls, reaching 13 major overhauls, which were completed before entering the previous winter peak. He added that work is currently underway to implement another 14 major overhauls, which are expected to be completed before entering the summer peak.

Work continuing across Libya
He added that GECOL is working in a coordinated manner in all Libyan cities, east, west and south. In the city of Tobruk, work is progressing well, and most of the engineering works for the new Tobruk station have been completed. Work is also going well in the projects of the North Benghazi station, as well as the Sarir station, in addition to the continuation of engineering work.

As for the situation in the south, Al-Taeb said that work on the project to connect the Ubari station to the electrical network is underway and will be completed before the summer peak, and the station will contribute to supporting electricity generation throughout the country.

RELATED POSTS

Solar PV training for 14 REAoL and GECOL technicians held in Tunisia

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

Multi-nationality foreign technicians working safely across Libya
Revealing another reason as to why Libya’s electricity generation has risen after over a decade of failure, Al-Taeb confirmed that foreign companies operating in the electricity sector with the GECOL from Turkey, America, Germany, South Korea, India and Egypt are working continuously without obstacles to complete the contracted projects on time, especially with the resumption of all electricity projects that have been suspended for years.

Hope for a peak summer season without power cuts
Sending a message to Libyan citizens, Al-Taeb said GECOL management, which announced weeks ago the end of the peak winter season without the need to organise scheduled power cuts due to its generation deficit first time in ten years, hopes to schedule no power cuts during this summer peak season.

Tags: electricity power cutsforeign technicians engineersGECOL General Electricity Company of Libyageneration capacityoverhaul

Related Posts

Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

May 22, 2026
Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports
Business

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

May 22, 2026
Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

May 21, 2026
Turkey agrees to reduce age range for Libyans requiring an entry visa
Business

Turkish institutions ready to contribute to implementation of joint Libyan marine sector projects: Turkish Ambassador Güven Beginç

May 21, 2026
Next Post
Libyan Honey Festival opens in Tripoli

Libyan Honey Festival opens in Tripoli

Libya discusses the reopening of airspace to its carriers with Italy’s ambassador

Libya discusses the reopening of airspace to its carriers with Italy’s ambassador

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.