No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC aims for 1.5 M barrels a day in 2020 and 2.1 M in 2024

byMichel Cousins
November 21, 2019
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
NOC aims for 1.5 M barrels a day in 2020 and 2.1 M in 2024

By Michel Cousins.

Tunis, 21 November 2019:

The NOC is spending LD 1.5 billion to increase oil output to 1.5 million barrels a day within the next year. It also plans to see oil production hit 2.1 million barrels a day (m b/d) and gas production rise to 3.4 billion cubic feet a day by 2024.  According to Sanalla, oil production is currently 1.25 m b/d.

Sanallah was speaking on Wednesday in Tunis to a large visiting delegation from the Libyan British Buisiness Council (LBBC). The governor of the Central Bank of Libya (CBL), Saddek Elkaber also addressed the gathering as did Faisal Gergab, the chairman of the Libyan Post, Telecommunications and Information Technology Company (LPTIC). Also attending was the chairman in the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA), Ali Mahmoud Hassan.

According to Sanalla, 2020 is to be a “year of transformation” as NOC moves towards its target of 2.1 m b/d in 2024.  Work will start on repairing damaged and destroyed oil fields, new wells will be drilled, others reopened or upgraded, pipelines repaired, and new production technology installed.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

The LD 1.5 bn investment results from the Sarraj government’s decision last month to provide the funds for development,

Stressing that the NOC is neither involved in politics nor takes sides in the current crisis, Sanalla unveiled a new four-pillar charter for the corporation.  It was committed to the country’s unity, independence, to integrity and a wider public stewardship. As part of the first and second pillars, it continues to operate throughout the country. As part of the third, it is committed to public transparency in all its operations and to opposing corruption – “reporting it when we see it”.

On the area of stewardship, the NOC plans to invest more in towns, villages and areas directly involved with the oil industry.  An Oil-Hosting Community Fund enabling the NOC to invest in healthcare, eduction and other sectors in oil areas has been approved by the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord, Sanalla said. This would also include university and post-graduate scholarships for local students.

Sanalla also called for government action to end fuel subsidies. Their existence continued to ensure fuel smuggling abroad. Action would not be easy, Sanallah admitted. Earning fortunes, the smugglers were well connected.  “They will not give up their gains without a fight”, he warned.   But action had to be taken, he insisted.

Sanalla also called for greater diversification of the economy and for a greater focus on environmental issues.

He put cost of redeveloping and expanding oil production at $60 billion by the end of 2024. Libya needed to invest in this but the lion’s share of this, he said, would have to come from foreign investment. This, according to NOC officials, would be encouraged by more favourable exploration and production contracts.

Speaking about security in the oilfields, Sanalla said that the Petroleum Facilities Guards needed to be reformed and restructured. In particular, specialist training was required. New technology would also be needed to protect fields and facilities, notably drones.

In his speech, CBL governor Elkaber agreed that the existence of two exchange rates – the official one at around LD 1.40 to the US dollar and the surcharged one – needed to end.  But the time was not right yet, he said.

Despite the continuing conflict, British interest in the Libyan market appears to be growing.  The LBBC delegation was one of its largest ever, with some 40 companies taking part.  The Libyan interest in dealing with the UK appears just as strong.  In addition to the presence of the heads of the NOC, CBL, LIA and LPTIC, the chairmen of almost all Libyan oil companies, from both east and west of the country, took part. Libyans like and trust British technology and services, Sanalla said.

The current production figure of 1.25m b/d given by him is slightly down from the 1.28 m b/d reported by NOC officials in October. The 2.1m b/d target for 2024 is also down on the figure given by the same officials last month. They had put the target at 2.2m b/d.

After his presentation on Wednesday, Sanalla signed a new agreement with the LBBC under which the two would collaborate on strategic planning, accessing technology and accessing post-graduate studies at Aberdeen’s Robert Gordon University as well as other British universities.

Tags: featuredLBBCNOC

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
STREAM incubator, accelerator and Fab Lab launched in Tripoli

STREAM incubator, accelerator and Fab Lab launched in Tripoli

LBC signs cooperation protocol with Joint Cooperation Association for Arab and Turkish States

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.