No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Khattalah acquitted on most serious Benghazi mission charges but still faces 60 years jail

byNigel Ash
November 29, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Ahmed Bukhatallah, tried as Abu Khattalah, guilty of lesser charges (File Photo)
Ahmed Bukhatallah, (tried as Abu Khattalah), guilty of lesser Benghazi mission charges (File Photo)

Tunis, 28 November 2017:

The Libyan who Washington prosecutors claimed was the mastermind behind the 2012 assault on the Benghazi US special mission, in which ambassador Chris Stevens and three others Americans died, has been cleared of 14 of the 18 charges against him.

But though a jury found Ahmed Abu Khattalah  not guilty of organising and actually taking part in the murders, he was convicted on four lesser terrorism charges which mean that the 46 year-old former construction worker could still face 60 years in jail.

After five days of deliberations at the end of a seven-week trial in a Washington courtroom not far from the White House, jurors decided that Khattalah had provided material support for terrorism, had maliciously destroyed and damaged dwellings and property and had carried a semi-automatic weapon during a crime of violence.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Khattalah was seized in a US special forces raid in Benghazi in July 2014. Shortly before this, another prime suspect in the mission attack, Faraj Al-Shibli, was found shot dead near Marj after being abducted by gunmen.

Khattalah’s lawyers said their client had been drawn to the blazing US mission out of curiosity. The prosecution produced surveillance footage and phone records, allegedly supplied by Libyan sources, to show the accused’s involvement was far more than that of a bystander. They also relied in part on the testimony of three Libyans, one of whom contacted Khattalah after the attack presenting himself as a businessman prepared to fund him and the small militia he had built up during the Revolution.

This witness who gave evidence under the pseudonym “Ali Majrisi” testified that in 2013, Khattalah had said of the attack: “I intended to kill everybody there, even those who were at the airport”. It emerged in court that “Majrisi” had been paid $7 million by the US, part of the reward that Washington had offered for evidence that would lead to a finding of guilt.

Khattalah is the first person to be convicted in connection with the Benghazi mission murders. At the end of last month, a second Libyan, named as Mustafa Al-Imam was seized by US special forces near Misrata.

Tags: Ahmed Abu KhattalahambassadorBenghazi special mission attackChris StevensfeaturedguiltyLibyaverdictWashington court

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Human Rights Watch accuses LNA over Abyar killings

Barghathi operated on in Tunis

Barghathi operated on in Tunis

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.