No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Air strike on Benghazi militants still holding out after four months

byNigel Ash
November 7, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Air strike on Benghazi militants still holding out after four months

Benghazi Radio hit today by a rocket (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Sidi Akribesh where militants have now held out for four months (Photo: supplied)
Sidi Akribesh where militants have now held out for four months (Photo: supplied)

Benghazi, 6 November 2017:

Three soldiers died yesterday as Libyan National Army (LNA) commanders abandoned their plan to starve out the remaining militants holed up in the Benghazi’s Sidi Akribesh for over four months.

Moreover, for the first time in weeks, an LNA war plane launched a strike on the district. In the past, army sources speaking on condition of anonymity because of the LNA clampdown on unauthorised statements about the fighting, had said that the “few buildings” still controlled by the militants constituted too small a target for air attack.

After the aircraft assault LNA units advanced but apparently met stiff resistance. Besides the three killed, 12 other soldiers were injured. It is reported that one of the militants, named as Ahmed Masoud al-Fakhri, said to be from Ajdabiya, was also killed in the fighting.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

The continued presence of an unknown number of fighters is an embarrassment to the LNA, whose commander, Khalifa Hafter broadcast triumphantly in early July that the battle for Benghazi was over.

Benghazi Radio hit today by a rocket (Photo: social media)
Benghazi Radio hit today by a rocket (Photo: social media)

In violence elsewhere in the city, a rocket attack on Benghazi Radio’s broadcasting studios slightly injured a number of people, including the poet Khadija Bsikri. It is thought that it was an RPG that was fired at the first floor of the building in Abdel Moneim road, some three kilometres away from Sidi Akribesh.

Meanwhile, unexploded ordnance, which hard-pressed LNA engineers have not yet had the opportunity to clear, has taken yet another life. A civilian named as Faraj Al-Abdali was killed in a blast as he entered his old apartment in the Suq Al-Hout district.

Tags: BenghaziBenghazi RadiofeaturedHafterLibyaLNAmilitantsSidi AkribeshSuq Al-Hout

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Sharara field attacked: NOC

Sharara field attacked: NOC

UNSMIL demands Rada release all Comic Con detainees

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.