No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

WFP provides food aid for 300 Sabratha families

byMichel Cousins
October 14, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
WFP provides food aid for 300 Sabratha families

Downtown Sabratha (Photo: Sabratha media centre)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Downtown Sabratha (Photo: Sabratha media centre)
Downtown Sabratha (Photo: Sabratha media centre)

Tunis, 13 October 2017:

Following last week’s fighting in Sabratha, the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP) has been providing food packages to 300 local families who were forced to flee for safety during the clashes. The packages comprise basic foodstuffs – rice, pasta flour, chickpeas, vegetable oil, sugar and tomato paste – for a month.

“With the help of our Libyan partners on the ground, WFP is delivering enough food this week to feed 1,500 people who have been severely affected by fighting,” says WFP Libya Country Director, Richard Ragan.

Although the fighting has now stopped and most people have returned home “many of the normal systems that people depend on to meet their daily needs have ceased to function,” says WFP.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It was estimated that over 15,000 locals had to move elsewhere during the fighting.

In a statement today, WFP says throughout the country this year it aims to assist some 175,000 Libyans “whose food insecurity means they do not know where their next meal is coming from”. Priority is being given “to the most vulnerable families, especially internally displaced people, returnees and refugees, as well as households headed by unemployed women”.

Stressing that the humanitarian situation in Libya is continuing to deteriorate, the WFP says it urgently requires $9.2 million to continue food assistance operations in the country for the next six months.

Meanwhile, it has also been announced that the Libyan Red Crescent in cooperation with the Red Cross has given food to 5,800 residents and displaced people in the eastern towns of Solug and Gemenis, south of Benghazi, to help them meet their daily needs. These places, like other cities in Libya, suffer from difficult economic conditions amid lack of liquidity,

Tags: featuredLibyaSabratha

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Demonstrators in Sabratha call for the removal of mayor Dhawadi and a new municipal council

Demonstrators in Sabratha call for the removal of mayor Dhawadi and a new municipal council

Death of local policeman in random shooting shocks Benghazi

Death of local policeman in random shooting shocks Benghazi

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.