No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Terror attack in central Libya checkpoint leaves 11 dead

byMichel Cousins
August 24, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Terror attack in central Libya checkpoint leaves 11 dead

By Hadi Fornaji.

zc
One of the LNA’s vehicles destroyed by the attackers at Fugha (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 23 August 2017:

An attack on a Libyan National Army (LNA) checkpoint in central Libya’s Jufra district has left 11 people dead, two of them civilians.

Initial reports spoke of a suicide bombing but the attack was in fact carried out by a large armed group who struck at dawn and summarily executed members of Battalion 131 they found there. Some were shot in the head, others had their throats slit. Eight of the nine soldiers killed are said to have been from Sorman, west of Tripoli, and had served in Khamis Qaddafi’s elite Brigade 32 before the revolution. The ninth solider is reported to have been from Sirte as were the two civilians who were driving past the Fugha checkpoint when the attack occurred.

The checkpoint, at the turning to the village of Fugha on the Abu Grain-Sebha road, is also known as Checkpoint 400, being 400 kilometres south of Abu Grain, itself some 100 kilometres south of Misrata

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The attackers, who are reported to have stolen weapons and vehicles before fleeing the scene, are variously said to be fighters with the so-called Islamic State (IS), Tebu mercenaries from Chad angry at their smuggling operations on the southern border being curtailed by LNA-linked forces, and forces linked to Usama Jadhran and the leader of the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB), Mustafa Sharksi.

Remnants of IS are known to have regrouped and are said to be operating in Jufra district. Usama Jadhran is also alleged to be involved with them and in smuggling operations in the south of Libya. Sharksi and the BDB were allegedly involved in the Brak Al-Shatti airbase massacre in May in which 141 people, mainly LNA soldiers, were slaughtered.

Condemnation of the attack has been swift and has seen competing sides unusually united in their reaction.

Khalifa Hafter has promised that the LNA’s response will be harsh, a promise that was also made after the Brak massacre. The president of the House of Representatives Ageela Saleh similarly called on the LNA to “strike with an iron hand” the terrorists that had carried out the attack.

In his response, Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj called those responsible for the attack as being totally devoid of any religious or moral values. To fight such terrorism, the army had to be united, he added.

“This crime is a call to all parties of different persuasions to set aside their differences and unite in the face of terrorism, which does not differentiate between one region and another nor between one political view or another, and does not recognise the Libyan state on the ground”, a PC statement read.

A united army to fight terrorism was also called for by Sabratha military council.

In a separate statement, PC member Fathi Majbri said that there had been earlier warnings from himself and others about terrorist groups operating in the south but that nothing had been done. He also claimed that some political figures were supporting these terrorists. He too said that the lack of a united army provided IS with the opportunity to grow in Libya.

Battalion 131, which combines elements of the former 32nd Brigade after the latter was incorporated into the LNA forces, lost two of its members in an attack by the BDB at Ras Lanuf airport in March.

Tags: DaeshfeaturedFughaISISLibyaLNA

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
International ban on matches in Libyan stadiums must end, Serraj tells Tripoli Ahli football club

International ban on matches in Libyan stadiums must end, Serraj tells Tripoli Ahli football club

UK Foreign secretary Boris Johnson in second Tripoli visit

UK Foreign secretary Boris Johnson in second Tripoli visit

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.