No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Situation of Zawians arrested in Saudi Arabia unclear

byMichel Cousins
August 11, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald team.

Tunis, 11 August 2017

The Saudi Arabian authorities are reported to have told the Libyan consulate in Jeddah that three of the four Libyans arrested in late June and early July on kidnapping and terror-related charges have been handed over to “the Libyan authorities”. It is said that they are now being held at Garnada prison near Beida.

The disclosure follows a request for information to the Saudis by the Libyan foreign ministry in Tripoli about the four.

The three are believed to be Mahmoud Ben-Rajab, Mohammed Hussein Al-Khadrawi and Abdul-Ghani Mohamed Ammar Abdullah, all from Zawia. A forth man, also from Zawia, Hussein Zahait, who initially evaded arrest by taking refuge in the consulate, is said to be being held in Saudi Arabia on charges of threatening officials there when he was arrested at Jeddah airport as he tried to leave the country.

RELATED POSTS

Presidency Council Head commits to transparency, disclosure, oversight – cutting off system of bribery, brokerage, and unregulated spending

Zawia airport construction starts – under the NDA and to be implemented by a Turkish company

All had been in Saudi Arabia performing umrah. Ben Rajeb and Khadrawi are said to have been arrested at the request of the Egyptian authorities on suspicion of involvement in the kidnapping of five Egyptian diplomats in Tripoli in January 2014. The other two are alleged to have had terrorist links.

According to Omar Khadrawi, brother of Mohamed Khadrawi, the family were surprised to find out last Friday that three including his brother had been handed over to the Beida authorities. He said that he was filing a complaint with the United Nations and that human rights organisations were aware of the situation.

The reported disclosure that three of the four are now in custody in Libya follows the attempt by their families to to secure their release by preventing fuel going from Zawia refinery to Tripoli. It resulted in a temporary stoppage of supplies but fears about continuing availability have led to a run on fuel in and around the capital with massive queues at petrol stations.

In response, the Presidency Council’s foreign ministry contacted the Saudi authorities for information at to the detainees’ situation.

Ben-Rajab and Al-Khadrawi are accused of being involved in the kidnapping of the five Egyptian diplomats in January 2014 in a bid to force the Egyptians to release the head of the Libyan Revolutionaries’ Operations Room at the time, Zawia’s Shaaban Masoud Hadia, also known as Abu Obaida Al-Zawi. He had been arrested in Alexandria suspected of dealings with Egyptian Islamist militants.

Tags: EgyptLibyaZawia

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

New mediation talks between Zintan and Mashashia held in Bani Walid

Yet another mine-blast civilian victim in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.