No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS launches deadly attack on a second LNA checkpoint

byNigel Ash
September 2, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
IS launches deadly attack on a second LNA checkpoint

A Bunyan Marsous column south of Sirte (Photo: BM)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Colonel Ahmed Mismari said IS reforming in Sabratah (File photo)
LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari (File photo)

Benghazi, 31 August 2017:

A suicide bomber drove a car into a Libyan National Army (LNA) checkpoint to the west of Nufliya today killing four security force members.

LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari initially said that two policemen from Sirte had died but it was later learnt that two LNA soldiers had also perished.

The attack was later claimed by the so-called Islamic State (IS). This was the second recent deadly IS assault against the LNA. Eight days ago a large terrorist force overran a checkpoint in the Jufra district, executing nine captured members of  Battalion 131 and also killing two civilian truck drivers who happened to be passing by.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A Bunyan Marsous column south of Sirte (Photo: BM)
A Bunyan Marsous column south of Sirte (Photo: BM)

Earlier this week, Mismari said there had been “a massive mobilisation” of IS forces around and to the west of Sirte. He claimed that the terrorists’ next destination would be the Gulf of Sirte to attempt to seize control of the ports and oil installations, followed by a move towards Benghazi and Derna.

Mismari also predicted another IS mobilisation to the west of Jufra with the objective of attacking the base in Jufra and from there fanning out into the entire central region.

In response, Mismari said that the LNA would send troops to surround the terrorists in the Jufra region.

“Chadian mercenaries coordinating with the Saraya Benghazi (Benghazi Defence Brigades) rebels and militias from Misrata will be spearheading the offensive against the terrorists,” Mismari said.

The Bunyan Marsous (BM) operations room also warned of IS regrouping in the Sirte area.

Today it said it had sent a large column south of Sirte on a routine anti-terrorist patrol. More than a score of vehicles had patrolled desert and checked ravines for signs of IS terrorists. They have been reported south of the town and, according to one unconfirmed  report, even to have returned to parts of Sirte itself.

In March this year as the LNA finally overran the Benghazi district of Ganfouda, a suicide bomber botched an attempt to drive an explosives-laden car into another checkpoint at Nufliya.  The vehicle overturned before it could teach its target, the driver was captured and engineers later defused the bomb.

Tags: Bunyan MarsouscheckpointfeaturedLibyaNANufliyasuicde bomber

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
More Benghazi murders

More Benghazi murders

Transporter loaded with car bombs intercepted in Benghazi: report

Transporter loaded with car bombs intercepted in Benghazi: report

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.