No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misratan lawmakers deplore Brak Al Shatti slaughter but not military

byMichel Cousins
May 20, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 19 May 2017:

Misratan lawmakers have described yesterday’s massacre in Brak Al -Shatti as a “cowardly act”. They also called for the “criminals” responsible to be punished, urging all the warring factions to exercise “self-discipline” so as to prevent any further flare-ups.

From both the House of Representatives and the State Council, the lawmakers also said that there needed to be a change in the forces charged with protecting Fezzan because “the city of Misrata is not a party to the conflict in the south of Libya”.

Going a step further, Misrata State Council member Begassem Igzeit told the online Mostakbal newspaper that the Presidency Council should withdraw all non-local forces from Fezzan.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

He also described yesterday’s killings as carried out not by professional forces but by “bloodthirsty” terrorists.

The slaughter had been an “irresponsible and heinous crime against Libyans,” Igzeit said. He also noted how large numbers of Libyan National Army (LNA) fighters appeared to have been executed after having been captured.

His call is an explicit slap in the face for Misrata’s former Third Force, renamed Battalion No 13, which along with the Benghazi Defence Brigades is blamed for yesterday’s massacre in which dozens of LNA fighters died. Sent to Fezzan in January 2014, it is still in control of Tamenhint airbase northeast of Sebha.

For its part, the lawmakers’ statement is seen as a desperate attempt by the city’s political leadership to distance Misrata from the massacre and avoid retribution.

The move, however, was already being undermined by Battalion No 13. In an phone interview with Al-Ahrar TV last night, the battalion’s spokesman, Mohamed Gliwan, admitted that it had been involved in the Brak airbase operation. This was because the LNA was planning to use it to launch attacks against the battalion and its allies at Tamenhint and elsewhere. The battalion had attacked the base, destroyed the forces there and then withdrawn, he said.

Meanwhile, on the battalion’s Facebook page, which still bears the name of the Third Force, there has been a spate of posts justifying the attack on the basis that the LNA’s 12th Battalion and its leader Mohamed Ben Nayel had constantly attacked the Misratan forces and their allies, that he was not to be trusted and that he was about to launch a fresh attack.

Battalion No. 13 also rejected reports that they had summarily executed LNA soldiers, despite evidence to the contrary.

For their part, the battalion’s allies in the attack, the Benghazi Defence Brigades, proudly declared on Twitter their role  in the capture of the airbase, announcing that they had captured mercenaries employed there by Hafter.

Meanwhile, LNA reaction has been swift with Khalifa Hafter sending troops to bolster his own 12th Battalion. His air force today has also bombed the Jufra airbase from which the units that attacked Brak and carried out the massacre are believed to have set out and to which they returned when they later pulled out.

Tags: LibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

141 died in Brak massacre says Mismari

Benghazi HoR member targeted in assassination attempt

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.