No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dissenting group blocks HoR vote on new CBL Governor

bySami Zaptia
April 26, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The HoR was blocked from voting on the new CBL Governor by a dissenting block (Photo: HoR).
The HoR was blocked from voting on the new CBL governor by a dissenting group (Photo: HoR)

London, 25 April 2017:

The House of Representatives (HoR) failed to vote on the new Central Bank of Libya (CBL) Governor today. It had announced yesterday, after candidates made their presentations to it, that it would make its choice through a vote today.

However, the 70-odd members present today (the HoR insists it was 92 members) failed to reach a consensus and a block of about 30 members foiled an attempt to take a vote. Their actions  – at times incensed the other 40-odd members who threatened to suspend their HoR membership in protest.

One HoR member told this publication that the failed attempt to vote was partially predictable. It is thought that an unholy alliance between a group of ‘‘obstructers’’, those opposed to the Libyan Political Agreement, and supporters of the present Tripoli-CBL Governor Saddek Elkaber – combined to wreck the vote.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Speaker Saleh cancels new import tax having previously claimed he had never agreed such a tax. Is Saleh’s position weakening? Report and analysis

HoR unofficial meeting proposes a new reform Roadmap to elect new leadership and amend internal regulations

Analysts were critical of the HoR for attempting to have a vote without having first established a consensus. Equally, it is widely believed that the HoR had no leverage on the ground in Tripoli to enable it to install its new CBL Governor – nor the ability to physically remove Seddek Elkaber from his post.

One HoR member told Libya Herald today that Elkaber was supported by a strong militia in Tripoli and the HoR would not have been able to physically protect its new Governor.

The ability of a minority of members to prevent a vote taking place at all further exposes the divisions within the HoR and its inability to stick to a democratic process.

The failure by the HoR seems on the face of it to have backfired and inadvertently strengthened the hand of Elkaber.

Tags: CBL Governor Saddek ElkaberfeaturedHoR House of Representatives

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
NOC to fully support Libyan private sector participation in projects

NOC to fully support Libyan private sector participation in projects

Serraj tells Russians he wants greater economic cooperation

Serraj tells Russians he wants greater economic cooperation

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.