No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Widespread rejection and condemnation of State Council’s move against HoR

byMichel Cousins
September 22, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Martin Kobler and Andulrahman Sewehli in Misrata today (Photo: UNSMIL)
Martin Kobler and Abdulrahman Sewehli in Misrata a week ago (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 22 September 2016:

Yesterday’s announcement by the State Council’s leadership that it was taking over the legislative powers of the House of Representatives (HoR) has been heavily criticised as provocative and an escalation of the current crisis by members of Council itself as well as by UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler and, not surprisingly, by members of the HoR itself.

State Council member Belgassem Igzeit, who like Council President Abdulrahman Sewehli is from Misrata, has described the move as an escalation of the current divisions and as such unacceptable.

For his part, Martin Kobler, in a series of tweets, has said that he is “concerned” about the decision and that the HoR remains the legislative authority. There can be no unilateral action, he insisted “politically or on the ground”, adding that the “fragile situation should not be exploited”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Using stronger language, both the HoR Deputy President Emhemed Shouaib and HoR spokesman Abdullah Bulaihak described the State Council move as a “coup”. Shouaib, who headed the HoR team to the UN-brokered Libya Dialogue, similarly referred to it as an escalation of the Libyan crisis which did nothing for dialogue.

Sewehli should be ignored, he said.

Bulaihak accused Sewehli of attacking the basic principles of the LPA which set out the HoR as the sole legislature.

So far there has been no comment from the Presidency Council.

State Council member Igzeit is currently also at odds with Sewehli over his recent visit along with two other State Council members to Beida for talks with members of the former GNC who were not allowed to joined the State Council and who have since formed a parallel council in Benghazi. Sewehli wants action taken against the three.

Tags: Abdulrahman SewehliBelgassem IgzeitEmhemed ShouaibfeaturedLibyaMartin KoblerPeter Millett

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

LNA appoints new committee to run GECOL in eastern Libya

Benghazi commander Gaeim rallies to Hafter

Benghazi commander Gaeim rallies to Hafter

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.