No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC will not lift force majeure on ports until it is paid its outstanding budget: NOC source

bySami Zaptia
August 29, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla welcomed the reported unconditional reopening of the blockaded eastern oil ports.
Tripoli NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla welcomed the reported unconditional reopening of the blockaded eastern oil ports but will not lift force majeure until the NOC is paid its outstanding budget.

London, 4 August 2016:

The Tripoli-based NOC will not lift the state of force majeure it has imposed on the eastern oil ports blockaded by regional strongman and Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) leader Ibrahim Jadhran until it receives monies owed to it from the Libyan state, a highly placed NOC source confirmed to Libya Herald.

The source, who insisted on anonymity, said that NOC chairman ‘’Sanalla has confirmed that the force majeure will not be lifted except through legal procedures which guarantee the rights of the NOC before its (EPSA) partners’’.

Moreover, the source also confirmed reports that Presidency Council member Musa Koni has promised the NOC that the Serraj-led Presidency Council/Government of National Accord (PC/GNA) will make available a first payment of LD 500 million owed to the NOC as part of its annual running budget which will be followed by another LD 500 million at a later time.

RELATED POSTS

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

There are considerable running costs to oil production which the NOC will need in order to be able to produce oil, as well as urgent well overdue maintenance let alone repairs to war damage needed at oilfields, pipelines and export terminals and ports.

The NOC source further confirmed that there had been ‘’no deal’’ made with Jadhran or the PFG but that the reopening of the ports and the restart of oil exports will commence upon the payment of the PFG’s unpaid wages stressing that these would be done through the usual legal channels and procedures governing wage payments.

Sanalla was also reported as saying to local Libyan media that it is not unlikely that he might be removed from his position in view of his tough public stance against the PC/GNA striking a deal with Jadhran.

It will also be recalled that Sanalla had reacted strongly to UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler’s meeting with Ibrahim Jadhran, who he labelled as a criminal. He had objected to setting a precedent of paying what he considered extortion money to oil blockaders.

Subsequently, Sanalla had welcomed the announcement by the PC/GNA that the ports would be reopened ‘’unconditionally’’.

Sanalla had threatened to withdraw his support for the Tripoli-based PC/GNA if Jadhran was to be rewarded with a payoff. This had led to speculation that the PC/GNA might be considering removing Sanalla from his post.

So far, there has been no evidence or sign that Jadhran is indeed going to be rewarded with some kind of a deal.

On the other hand, following his controversial meeting with Kobler, Jadhran, for his part, was reported to have said that the terminals would be working again within days.

In practice, and from an oil production and export point of view, this assurance seemed a little unlikely since the Sidra and Ras Lanuf tank farms and associated infrastructure have been badly damaged, first in an attack by Misratan-led Libya Dawn forces in February 2015  and then by IS in October last year and January this year.

It is probably precisely for this reason that international media has been reporting that international oil experts and those in the trade were not expecting Libyan oil production to recommence from the eastern region. The most optimistic analysts said that at best there would be a minimal increased amount of oil exported.

Libyan oil sources have told this newspaper that increasing oil production from the southern oilfields of Fil (Elephant) and the Sharara fields would be a better bet – if a political deal could be struck with the tribes along the south/north all the way to the western port of Zawia – including a deal with Zintan.

Tags: featuredIbrahim JadhranMustafa SanallaNOC National Oil CorporationPFG Petroleum Facilities Guards

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Audit Bureau allows Commerce and Development bank cheque clearance below LD 10 k

Audit Bureau meets NOC and southern Mayors in effort to solve oil and electricity bottlenecks

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.