No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

No cooperation with Serraj administration until militias disbanded says Hafter

byMichel Cousins
May 21, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

sd
Khalifa Hafter in iTélé interview (Photo: Video grab)

Tunis, 21 May 2016:

General Khalifa Hafter, the head of the Libyan armed forces appointed by the House of . . .[restrict]Representatives, says that he will not work with the Government of National Accord (GNA) led by Faiez Serraj until the militias on which it relies at present are disbanded.

“It’s unthinkable to work with these armed factions,” he said in an interview with French news channel iTélé.

He also claimed that his forces were not far from destroying those of the so-called Islamic State (IS/Daesh) based in Sirte, although it would still take a little more time.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

“We have mustered our forces, which were scattered, to confront these terrorist groups trying to take control of the army, police and security apparatus. Today we are not far to eliminate these terrorist groups.”

However, it would happen lot faster, he said, if the international community supported him and lifted the arms embargo on Libya.

“If the international community supports us, and I ask it to do so by lifting the embargo on weapons, then we could eliminate Daesh in Libya definitively and quickly.”

In Vienna this week, an international conference which included all five UN Security Council veto members specifically ruled out allowing weapons to go to Hafter’s forces. They agreed to allow a partial lifting of the embargo on a case by case basis, but arms would be allowed to go only to forces under the control of the GNA.

IS, Hafter said in the short interview, was in fact not quite the threat that some see. “The Islamic state has no capacity to cope with the Libyan armed forces,” he claimed.

Referring to the GNA, it was not just a matter of the militias supporting it, he said. “We have no relationship with Serraj at the moment because the Council has not been recognised by the House of Representatives». [/restrict]

Tags: featuredKhalifa HafterLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
US$ 500 million Gaza floating oil terminal arrives in Libyan waters

US$ 500 million Gaza floating oil terminal arrives in Libyan waters

Security in Benghazi discussed by Serraj and his defence minister as Thinni’s interior minister inspects forces on the ground

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.