No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sabri and Suq Al-Hout liberated: LNA claim

byMichel Cousins
February 25, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ayman Amzein and Maha Sulaiman.

Sabri (Photo: Archive)
Sabri fighting in central Benghazi (Photo: Archive)

Benghazi, 24 January 2016:

Following continued fighting in Benghazi’s Sabri district today, the Libyan National Army announced . . .[restrict]this evening that it had been taken and was now free of Islamic State (IS) forces. There are also reports that the neighbouring Suq Al-Hout district has also be liberated, but these are unconfirmed.

Responding the news, the deputy mayor of Benghazi has warned Sebri residents had had fled the district not to return yet as it was too dangerous.  There could be booby traps, unexploded ordinance dead bodies. The area had to be de-mined and decontaminated first.

During the day, the Chief of Staff of the Libyan National Army (LNA), Major General Abdul Razzaq Al-Nazhuri, visited font lines and areas in the city now liberated to met with troops who have borne the brunt of the fighting in the past four days.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Earlier in the day, a top military official told the Libya Herald that some 30 soldiers had been killed in the Benghazi offensive since Saturday. Another 40 had been seriously injured.

He also repeated the much-used Hafter declaration that the liberation of the entire city would be announced within just a few days – except that this time it looks as if it might finally just happen. Despite the fact that IS and its allies are not completely destroyed – fighting continued today not only in Sabri and Suq Al-Hout but also in Garyounis – they have hit hard and been driven out of many places they had managed to hold for over two years.

Anticipating an imminent declaration, the official said that it was still being decided if the next focus of LNA attention would be Derna or Ajdabiya.

IS and other militants continue to remain in the outskirts of both places.

Meanwhile, claims circulating for the past fortnight that French forces are working with the army have been reinforced by a report to that effect in the reputable French daily Le Monde. In an article published today it says that forces from the French Directorate-General for External Security have been involved in secret operations against IS in eastern Libya.

The article provides no proof for the claim. However, although the French government has neither denied or confirmed it, French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has launched an inquiry into the article. He as quoted saying that “when secret operations take place, the aim is that they should be disclosed in order to ensure the security of the men and the operations”.

For its part, the LNA continues to insist that no foreign troops were involved in the offensive codenamed “Blood of the Martyrs”. The House of Representatives has also put out a statement declaring the same.

Questions, however, are being asked as to how the LNA, after failing to dislodge the militants in a year and nine months of continuous fighting, suddenly, in four days, managed to all but smash them. The spectacular turnaround has resulted in intense speculation that the LNA had foreign help. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

To shave or not to shave – the IS question

Rada claims capture of new IS Sabratha leader

Rada claims capture of new IS Sabratha leader

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.