No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dialogue Draft invalid if Sharia law not accepted says Ghariani

byMichel Cousins
September 30, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 29 September 2015:

Sheikh Sadek Al-Ghariani, still accepted by the regime in Tripoli as Libya’s grand mufti, has . . .[restrict]said that unless the Libya Dialogue agreement accepts Sharia law and has it at the top of the text then it is invalid.

He was speaking to gread applause at a workshop on the UN-brokered Dialogue held today at the General National Congress (GNC). When he arrived to speak, many participants started shouting takbirs (“Allahu Akbar”).

(The Dialogue text in fact says in its preamble that “and that Islamic law (Sharia) is the source of legislation”. However, for Ghariani, who has resolutely opposed the Dialogue until now, nothing less than Sharia being the law, rather than its source, will do.)

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The workshop was attended by some 100 key players in the Tripoli regime, including its prime minister, Khalifa Ghwell, members of the GNC, elders and municipal representatives together with other opponents of the House of Representatives (HoR).

None of the GNC’s Dialogue team was in attendance having already left for New York.

Some members of the GNC supported the Dialogue, expressing optimism as to its prospect. Others did not, insisting that the Supreme Court’s ruling last November which they say abolished the HoR and reinstated the GNC had to be accepted.

Abdulraouf Al-Manaie (elected to the HoR for Abu Sleem), when referred to as an HoR boycotter, said he was no not because it no longer existed and therefore he could no longer be a member of it.

In his speech, Ghwell said that the Dialogue was incompatible with the GNC and expressed his absolute opposition to the GNC delegates to the Dialogue continuing to have anything to do with it. He accused them of ignoring what he called “putchists” and “criminal gangs” – a reference to the Libyan National Army and Khalifa Hafter – who had bombed Benghazi, Derna and Kufra “and killed innocent elderly people, women and children”. Claiming to support dialogue, he said it could only be between Libyans who supported the 17 February Revolution. [/restrict]

Tags: GNCLibyaUN dialogue

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
It’s Misrata, not Misurata, says city council

It’s Misrata, not Misurata, says city council

Libyan death toll from Mecca stampede hits 8 

Libyan death toll from Mecca stampede hits 8 

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.