No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Geneva Dialogue negotiations delayed a day

byMichel Cousins
August 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald Reporter

The United Nations' Palais des Nations , Geneva
The United Nations’ Palais des Nations , Geneva (Photo: UN)

Tunis, 10 August 2015:

The United Nations has delayed for a day the opening of its latest Libya Dialogue . . .[restrict]round of talks in Geneva to allow a delegation from the Tripoli-based rump General National Congress to attend.

The talks, originally scheduled to begin today (Monday) and last through Wednesday, will now open tomorrow to give a GNC delegation time to fly from Tripoli to Geneva.

Until the weekend the process was overshadowed by the refusal of the GNC to turn up, but that changed on Sunday when GNC members voted to send a delegation, subject to conditions.

RELATED POSTS

Two Libyan olive oil brands win gold at Geneva’s European International Olive Oil Competition (EIOOC) 2024

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The conditions are that UN Special Envoy Bernadino Leon agrees to re-open discussion on his draft plan for a Government of National Accord. Should he agree, however, there is the risk that the delegation from Libya’s recognised government, the House of Representatives (HoR), will walk out.

For now, the UN says that the talks will open on Tuesday with delegations from both bodies in attendance.

One possibility is that Geneva becomes in effect “proximity talks” with the GNC delegation refusing to participate formally, but agreeing to observe.

The GNC objects to what is effectively fifth draft, of the so-called Leon Plan, which makes the HoR the country’s legislature for a year, possibly two. The plan says members from the rump GNC will control a proposed State Council, but that it will have consultative powers only, with no influence over the HoR.

The GNC fears it will be sidelined in such an arrangement, and wants at least a return to the previous draft (no. 4), in which the State Council had significant powers.

The Geneva talks are billed by the UN as the forum for choosing a new prime minister and two deputies within the framework of the Draft which was approved last month by all the Dialogue delegates, apart from those from the GNC.

Leon will now need to make a decision about whether to press ahead with this, at the risk of the GNC taking no part, or revisit the Draft, and risk a walkout by the HoR. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGenevaLibyaUN dialogue

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

ePassport application system swamped on first day

Ambulance destroyed after failing to stop at checkpoint

Ambulance destroyed after failing to stop at checkpoint

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.