No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Bomb defused at Leptis Magna

byMichel Cousins
June 6, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Bomb defused at Leptis Magna

Photo posted on social media of the bomb purportedly left at Leptis Magna

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Leptons Magna
Leptis Magna

Tripoli, 6 June 2015:

A bomb is reported to have been found this afternoon at the ruined Roman city of . . .[restrict]Leptis Magna and defused. Confirming the news, the head of the Department of Antiquities Ahmed Abdulkarim, based in Beida, told the Libya Herald that he had just been informed and that all he knew so far was that the device had been found “in a temple”.

There are several temples in Leptis Magna as well as other buildings that are sometimes described as such, notably the majestic Severan Basilica (above)  with its magnificent carvings.

An official at Leptis is quoted saying that the device contained 40 kilos of explosives and that had it gone off it would have destroyed the building.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Leptis Magna, home of the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus (145 – 211) just outside Khoms, together with Sabratha and Cyrene are classified by UNESCO as world heritage sites.

There have been growing fears that militant Islamists might attack Libya’s archaeological treasures.

Photo posted on social media of the bomb purportedly left at Leptis Magna
Photo posted on social media of the bomb purportedly left at Leptis Magna

It is not known who planted the bomb, but Islamist militants are suspected,

“There is a great risk to our heritage from IS,” Abdulkarim said in a recent interview with this newspaper. The danger was in the west of the country, he noted. “The authorities in Tripoli don’t care [about the heritage]” he declared. As a result, “we have serious concerns about Leptis, Sabratha and for the museum in Tripoli”.

Locals from Khoms have set up an armed volunteer force to protect Leptis, of which locals are very proud and it is thought that a member found the bomb. But protecting the ruins from a determined IS attack is probably beyond their capacity.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: bombfeaturedLeptis MagnaLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Attack on Ajdabiya local army base leaves two dead

Attack on Ajdabiya local army base leaves two dead

Russians and Chinese veto UN sanctions on Sewehli and Milaiqtah

Russians and Chinese veto UN sanctions on Sewehli and Milaiqtah

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.