No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Air force threatens airstrikes as EU anti-migrant smuggler mission begins

byNigel Ash
June 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Migrants being picked up recently by a British warship  (Photo:Royal Navy)
Migrants being picked up recently by a British warship (Photo:Royal Navy)

Tripoli, 23 June 2015:

As the EU began the intelligence collection first phase of its operation to combat Libyan . . .[restrict]people-smugglers, Air Force commander Saqr Geroushi has warned that EU vessels could be attacked if they enter Libyan waters without authorisation.

“Any vessel found in Libyan waters without previous cooperation or permission will be targeted by the air force,” Geroushi told Reuters last night.

Meanwhile the Libya Dawn antigovernment of has today expressed  its “deep concern” at the EU’s plans, signed off yesterday  at a meeting of EU foreign ministers. It said that anti-smuggler operations within Libyan waters required its permission.

RELATED POSTS

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

Libya will not bear burdens of illegal immigration alone or be settlement area: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Yet an EU diplomat has been quoted as saying there is no intention for European naval vessels that are part of the new “EUNAVFOR Med” to operate inside Libyan waters without clearance from the United Nations and indeed the Libyan government.

Under international agreements, territorial waters are normally 12 miles  (19.3 kilometres) from the coast. However in the 1980s the Qaddafi regime twice claimed the entire Gulf of Sidra as Libyan waters.

It is also clear that some of the rescues carried out in recent months by European naval vessels have been in response the distress calls from migrant vessels that were still inside Libyan territory.

The new EU intelligence operation, based in Sicily, is sure to use satellite gathering of communications and imaging as well as the 15 submarines, warships, drones and helicopters from ten European countries that have been announced.

Meanwhile it appears that it is business as usual for the people smugglers.  In the last 36 hours some 2,500 migrants are reported to have been landed in Sicily. Norwegian and Danish warships which are  part of the EU Frontex operation have picked up some 1,000 migrants, including 99 who had already been rescued by a Russian tanker.

Italian prosecutors have also opened a murder enquiry following the shooting dead of one migrant and the injury of another, from the Gambia, around the rescue of passengers in an inflatable raft. The Italian Coastguard is denying migrants allegations that the shots came from an Italian vessel.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: 12-mile limitEUEUNAVFOR MedfeaturedFrontexLibyaSaqr GeroushiSidra

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Tripoli “government” seizes opponents’ properties

Tripoli "government" seizes opponents’ properties

Government rejects HoR report of detainee torture

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.