No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi disabled kids’ centre threatened with closure despite charity’s help

byNewsdesk1
March 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi disabled kids’ centre threatened with closure despite charity’s help

By Adam Ali.

wheelchairs
New playroom at the Benghazi Disabled Children’s Centre (Photo: #Mn_Tawfiq)

Benghazi, 16 March 2015:

A lack of specialist workers and gas along with blockaded roads and fighting in nearby Leithi, . . .[restrict]is endangering the future of a Benghazi disabled childcare centre and threatening to undo the hard work of a local charity.

A charity local to Benghazi, “Obader”, through its two month-old campaign, “#Mn_Tawfiq”, has provided much-needed equipment for a centre that is meeting the needs of disabled children in the East.

The idea for the campaign came in December after its relief work by Obader led volunteers into contact with a number of families with disabled children in need of support,  Obader’s, Fatoom Bin Dardaf, told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

“We chose to name the campaign after our dear friend, Tawfiq Bin Saud, who was assassinated on 19 September. We started collecting monetary donations,” Bin Dardaf said.

The group decided to work with the Benghazi Centre for the Disabled. Apart from funding medical equipment and wheelchairs, #Mn_Tawfiq has redecorated an empty room at the centre, kitting it out with an entertainment centre and games to help the children to deal with the stress of the recent violence in the city.

Though #Mn_Tawfiq has made progress in the campaign, it is saying that it is unable to continue work at the centre for the time being because of the street closures and gas shortages of the past few months have made it very difficult to transport equipment to the centre.

According to Benghazi Centre for the Disabled Director Fawzi Huni, the centre itself is suffering from a severe shortage in childcare workers, which has led to the withdrawal of 12 children by their families, who were concerned that their children were not receiving enough attention.

“All of the childcare workers were Libyan, but some decided to flee Benghazi when the fighting started last year,” Huni added.

Currently, there are 40 children living at the centre, and because of its close proximity to the Laithi area, which has seen a significant amount of fighting over the past few months, some of the children are suffering from post-traumatic stress related to the sounds of gunfire and explosions happening outside, Humi said.

“We believe in what the disabled centre is doing and look forward to continued partnership with the it in the future,” Bin Dardaf told this paper. [/restrict]

Tags: #Mn_TawfiqBenghazidisabled childrenLibyaObader

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Kuwait expels Libyan ambassador at HoR’s request

Kuwait expels Libyan ambassador at HoR’s request

EU ‘ready to step up engagement on counter-terrorism’

EU ‘ready to step up engagement on counter-terrorism’

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.