No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Corinthia attack, death toll may be 13: report

byNigel Ash
February 2, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 27 January 2015:

The deadly attack on Tripoli’s Corinthia Hotel ended this afternoon leaving perhaps as many as 13 . . .[restrict]people dead beside the terrorists whose number is still unclear.

Initially it was being claimed that three Libyan security guards were slain in the initial assault while four foreigners, two of them women, are supposed to have been killed later.

No identities have yet been revealed but it is thought that at least one of the dead is an American and another may be French.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Airports Authority discusses joint investment with Malta’s Corinthia Group

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

In the continuing confusion after the attack, it was also being reported that four other US citizens had been among a crowd of people evacuated from the hotel, some, it seems, via the underground car park. It is understood that there are at least six wounded.

At a press conference held later by Libya Dawn, an aide to antigovernment prime minister Omar Al-Hassi said that target of the attack had been his boss. Mohamed Omar Hussain said that the killers had been sent by General Khalifa Hafter in the east of the country to kill Hassi. This claim was repeated to Naba TV by Omar Khardawi of Tripoli’s Central Security.

A statement issued over Hassi’s name reiterated the claim that Hafter had ordered the terror raid. The statement went on the say that the attack was “ indicative of the success we have had in securing Tripoli and providing basic services to residents”.

Hassi had apparently been on the 22nd floor of the 299-room Corinthia when the terrorists struck.

It was originally claimed that a total of five attackers had shot their way into the hotel lobby. However some sources are now saying that there were only two terrorists.

Certainly two different young men, dressed in light-coloured clothing, one of them clearly holding a weapon, were caught by the hotel CCTV. Their pictures quickly made it to social media. But so too did a video clip of the blood-soaked body of another “terrorist”, wearing dark clothing and not resembling ether of the CCTV pair. It has likewise been said that one of the attackers has been arrested.

It appears that the attackers were finally cornered on the 24th floor. One security source claimed to  the Libya Herald that one of the terrorists had killed himself and a fellow terrorist with a grenade. [/restrict]

Tags: attackCorinthiaLibyaterrorist

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Geneva dialogue delegates want to unveil new government "in two weeks": report

Condemnations of Corinthia attack continue as arguments grow over culprits

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.