By Maha Suliman.
Benghazi, 28 November 2014:
The Libyan National Army will launch more more air attacks on Tripoli’s Mitiga airport and extend its . . .[restrict]raids to Misrata’s airport and port.
Air Force commander Brigadier Saqr Geroushi told the Libya Herald today that people should stay away from all three areas. He said that the first two air raids on Tripoli’s Mitiga airport, on Monday and Tuesday, had not damaged the runway or any aircraft. He said that future attacks would would hit these targets.
He claimed that a Libyan pilot had been forced to fly an Ilyushin transport aircraft from Mitiga to the Sudan to pick up an arms shipment for Libya Dawn forces.
“We know what is going on there” said Geroushi, “and we will stop it”.
Sudan has denied that it has been supplying Libya Dawn with weapons. When a shipment of arms was discovered on a Sudanese transport plane which had landed at Kufra, the government in Khartoum said the weapons and ammunition were destined for a joint Libyan-Sudanese border force.
At the start of October, the Sudanese formally recognised the House of Representatives and the Thinni government. It is unclear how the Supreme Court’s 6 November judgement, invalidating the election of the HoR, has affected Sudan’s political position.
Four days later, Sudanese foreign minister Ali Karti began a series of visits to Tobruk and Tripoli seeking to lay the groundwork for a conference of all parties, including Libya’s neighbours, in Khartoum early next month.