No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Army urges evacuation of area surrounding Benghazi Port

byCallum Paton
February 20, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Army urges evacuation of area surrounding Benghazi Port

Gunmen clash in Benghazi (Photo: Abdullah Doma)

By Adam Ali.

Gunmen clash in Benghazi (Photo: Abdullah Doma)
Gunmen clash in Benghazi (Photo: Abdullah Doma)

Benghazi, 3 November 2013:

The Libyan National Army (LNA) has called on all residents in the Sabri . . .[restrict]district, the area just to the north of Benghazi’s port, to evacuate their homes.

Speaking on the pro-government television channel Libya Awilan last night, the spokesman for the General Chief of Staff Ahmed Al-Mismari said Sabri locals and those living in proximity to the port needed to have left the area before noon today. He said those who ignored the order “bore sole responsibility for their actions”. Mismari explained that the calls were “immediate, urgent and of paramount importance”.

The Sabri district, Benghazi’s commercial heart, has been the backdrop to some of the worst fighting in recent days between the government forces of the LNA and Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC).

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

The seaport itself of is of crucial strategic importance. The LNA has claimed repeatedly that Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies in BRSC have received shipments of arms and other supplies through it.

The army has said since August that it would bomb any ships attempting to enter Benghazi after the port was taken by Islamist forces in June. Last month the LNA claimed to have sunk a vessel some 50 kilometres off the coast from Benghazi, which it said was heading to the city.

In September the airforce bombed the port itself although causing only minimal damage.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghazievacuationfeaturedLibyaport

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Hassi “government” accuses Leon of not wanting dialogue and of “disrespecting” Libyan laws; threatens potential court action

Hassi "government" accuses Leon of not wanting dialogue and of “disrespecting” Libyan laws; threatens potential court action

Thinni’s fourth cabinet meeting focuses on budget and Benghazi

Thinni's fourth cabinet meeting focuses on budget and Benghazi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.