No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The chaos of Benghazi’s most battle-scarred area

byCallum Paton
October 3, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
The chaos of Benghazi’s most battle-scarred area

Destruction in Buatni (Photo: Social Media)

By Moutaz Ahmed.

Destruction in Buatni (Photo: Social Media)
Destruction in Buatni (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 3 October 2014:

The clashes around Benina Airport yesterday, following a double suicide bombing, were some . . .[restrict]of the worst seen in Benghazi in over two years of brutal violence in the city.

The residential district of Buatni, on the approach to Benina, has become a flashpoint for the most intense fighting in Benghazi. From Buatni Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies have encroached ever closer on the airport.

The neighbourhood is now largely abandoned and informed sources have told the Libya Herald that Buatni was now well under the control of Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC).

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Speaking on condition of anonymity, they claimed that among the dead were bodies of men apparently executed with a single gunshot to the head. The Red Crescent has been seen to be arriving regularly to collect these corpses.

It is being claimed that for the most part the bodies have been left for some time and are partially decomposed. They were being found in abandoned or ruined buildings, where militiamen can also reportedly scavenging for scrap-metal amongst the debris.

Hospitals have affirmed that a regular trickle of corpses is being brought in by the Red Crescent from areas of Benghazi under total Islamist control. Three days ago two unidentified bodies were collected from Hawari. They were taken to Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC) for forensic identification.

Today there have been unconfirmed reports from inside Buatni of low-level skirmishes may be  taking place between Ansar Al-Sharia and the Brega Martyr’s Brigade under the command of its injured leader Mohamed Al-Araibi, although the two groups are technically allied.

Until the end of Ramadan, Buatni had been a Saiqa Special Forces stronghold and the location of its headquarters.

However over weeks of heavy fighting, two months ago Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies were able to push Saiqa out of the area and seize large quantities of ammunition and weapons.

In the aftermath of these attacks the Libyan Red Crescent removed the bodies of 35 members of Saiqa Special Forces from the abandoned headquarters.

Benina Airport and a nearby air defence base are the last positions held by Saiqa and Operation Dignity near to Benghazi.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghazibodiesBuatnidestructionfeaturedLibyan Red Crescent

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Warshefana hands back Kilani's body

Yet more migrants drown

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.