No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tawerghans flee fighting in Benghazi as suicide bomber kills four in Buhdeima

byMichel Cousins
April 28, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Shrapnel litters the road in Buhdeima where a suicide bomb killed three locals (Photo: Social media)
Shrapnel litters the road in Buhdeima where a suicide bomb killed three locals last night  (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi/Tripoli/Kufra, 18 October 2014:

Almost the entire population of Garyounis and neighbouring Bu Sneib have now fled because of continued . . .[restrict]shelling in the area. This includes all the Tawerghans at a refugee camp in Garyounis.

“Some 510 Tawerghan families at the Garyounis camp fled to Gemenis and Ajdabiya” Abdulrahman Al-Shakshak, head of Tawergha Local Council based in Tripoli, told the Libya Herald.

Some Tawerghans had been wounded as a result of the shelling, he said, and it had caused chaos and panic. “Missile shrapnel caused injuries to some people, but not serous injuries,” Shikshak said.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

A massive fire at the camp last night, following the evacuation, has since been reported, causing considerable damage and likely to make any immediate return impossible.

“The families are now staying in five schools in Gemenis and the rest have gone to Ajdabiya seeking shelter,” Shikshak explained.

Gememis Municipal Council met yesterday to organise how best to provide accommodation, food and medical attention for the Tawerghans.

Shikshak’s own council too is now urgently seeking funds to help to its refugees across the country but, according to him, does not know where to ask. “We are in need for financial support to aid our refugees, and we torn as who to ask.”

Tawerghan refugees are spread throughout Libya having been forced out of their town at the end of the revolution because of its support for Qaddafi and involvement in the siege of Misrata

For his part, the director of the Benghazi branch of the Libyan Authority for Relief and Humanitarian Assistance, Mohammed El Atram, was quoted by Buwabat Al-Wasat saying that the entire population of Garyounis and Bu Sneib had fled as had most residents in Majouri.

His organisation was starting a full list of all those who had been displaced by the heavy fighting in the city, he said.

Meanwhile last night, a suicide bomber blew himself up and killed three civilians at a roadblock in Buhdeima. The attack is believed to be in revenge for the murder by local vigilantes of a Buhdeima family of Ansar Al-Sharia supporters.

Following the death of Abdel Salem Ben Sweidi and his three sons Mustafa, Khaled and Ibrahim, shot dead in their home on Wednesday morning, the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council reportedly threatened to avenge it.

Those killed in the suicide attack have been named as Majdi Al-Orabi, Adel Al-Falah, Said Al-Hassouni. Their bodies and the remains of the suicide bomber were taken to Benghazi Medical Centre. A fourth man gravely wounded in the attack was also taken there.

It is reported that until last night, the BMC  has received 47 bodies from the fighting since it began three days ago – 20 of them yesterday alone.

Families flee the fighting in Benghazi
Families flee the fighting in Benghazi (Photo: Social media)

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibyaTawergha

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Fresh fighting in Obari

Al-Wataniya “official” channel celebrates re-launch with Thinni interview

Al-Wataniya "official" channel celebrates re-launch with Thinni interview

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.