No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Derna’s rival Islamist militias fall out over Caliphate allegiance

byMichel Cousins
October 7, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 6 October 2014:

Following Friday’s declaration of allegiance to Daesh (the “Islamic State”) by Derna’s Shoura Council . . .[restrict]of Islamic Youth (SCIY) and its military parade through the streets, the town’s rival Islamist militia, the Abu Sleem Martyrs’ Brigade has said that it is not giving it allegiance to anyone outside the country.

The two groups have engaged in an increasingly deadly rivalry in recent months and two weeks ago at least six members of the two groups were killed in clashes.

The rivalry has not stopped others being killed.  It is suspected that a man reported to have been murdered in the town’s Shara Al-Wadi district today was killed by militants. Osama Bader Al-Mansuri, said to be a lawyer and activist, is reported to have opposed Ansar and the SCIY.

RELATED POSTS

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

Libya’s Derna flood response cost lives – independent investigation needed: HRW

The Shoura Council is expected to announce the name of the town’s “emir” (prince or governor) later this week. In the Caliphate to which the SCIY has given its allegiance, each area is supposed to be run by an emir.

Meanwhile claims by Operation Dignity to have carried out the air strikes on a SCIY base and arms depot in Derna yesterday have been challenged by an eyewitness who told the Libya Herald that the strikes had been too accurate and successful to have been done by the Libya air force. “It was precision targeting”, he said, insisting that foreign air force fighters must have been involved.

His allegation that foreigners were also fighting with Ansar Al-Sharia and the SCIY has, however, been repeated by a prominent local resident who asked to remain anonymous. “There are Iraqis, Syrians and Tunisians among them,” the resident told this newspaper this afternoon. He added there was growing anger in the town with both the SCIY and the Abu Sleem Martyrs’ Brigade. “People don’t want them anymore,” he said. Public opposition to the group was the reason, he believed, why SCIY members had covered their faces in Friday’s parade.  They are afraid of the people of Derna,” he said.

The SCIY had organised a meeting yesterday on the Caliphate in the town’s historic Sahaba Mosque, he added, but there was almost no support for the idea. [/restrict]

Tags: Abu Sleem Martyrs BrigadeAnsar Al-ShariaDaeshDernaISLibyaShoura Council of Islamic Youth

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Opening salvoes in Libya's $1 billion Goldman Sachs suit

Benghazi killings continue unabated

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.