No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya “terrorist powder-keg” says France, demands Ansar be classified as terrorist organisation

byMichel Cousins
September 26, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Paris, 26 September 2014:

France has demanded that Ansar Al-Sharia in Libya be designated a terrorist organisation by the . . .[restrict]UN Security Council. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius made the demand yesterday at the special meeting on Libya organised by the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on the sidelines of the General Assembly meeting. Calling the country a “terrorist powder-keg”, Fabius told others at the meeting that Paris had formally requested “that Ansar al-Sharia be added to the Security Council terror list, the so-called Al-Qaeda list”.

“With Libya, we are faced with two challenge: the first is to initiate national reconciliation between the different Libya groups. But the second, is that we must find ways and means to put an end to what is a terrorist powder-keg,” he said.

So far, despite just five groups have been designated as terrorist organisations by the UN: Al-Qaeda, the Nusra Front in Syia, Boko Haram in Nigeria, IS (Daesh), and Iraq’s Kata’ib Hezbollah.

RELATED POSTS

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

At present, other than the Libyan government, only the US has listed Ansar Al-Sharia as a terrorist body.

Separately, the Security Council voted last month to impose sanctions on individuals and groups seen as responsible for the current crisis in Libya. A list is believed to have been drawn up but not made public while efforts continue to promote national dialogue.

France has taken a lead in recent weeks to mobilise international action on Libya. Last month French President François Hollande called for UN intervention in Libya. Without it, the  president said, “terrorism will spread across the region”.

Two weeks ago, France’s Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Libya had become a “hub for terrorist groups” and that France had to act “mobilise the international community” to deal with the issue. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaFranceLibyaUN

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

National Dialogue Commission members meet with UNSMIL chief in New York

Cash withdrawals abroad stopped

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.