No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Operation Dignity aircraft crashes near Beida

byCallum Paton
August 29, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim and Farah Waleed.

Benghazi, 29 August 2014:

A warplane belonging to Operation Dignity crashed this morning near . . .[restrict]Beida, killing its pilot.

The commander of Operation Dinity’s air forces, Saqr Adam Geroushi, told the Libya Herald that the plane had crashed as a result of a technical failure. The Shura Council of Derna, an extremist Islamist group, has claimed however that it downed the plane with a surface to air missile.

Forces loyal to Ansar Al-Sharia based in Ras Al-Hilal fired eight rockets at Beida’s Labraq Airport today but missed. However, this attack is thought to have taken place later than the crash of the plane which occurred at around 9:30 am.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Development & Reconstruction Fund inaugurates Derna’s 2,000 housing project

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

Geroushi dismissed claims the warplane was downed saying it suffered a technical fault while flying from Tobruk to Benghazi, where it was to carry out airstrikes on Islamist positions. He explained that the pilot, whom he identified as Ibrahim Al-Manifi, had been flying at a height of around 200 metres, too low to eject when the malfunction occurred.

Manifi, who was 56 years old, was the Commander of Toburk Airbase. He is survived by his wife and children.

In July a Mig jet fighter being used by the Operation Dignity crashed into waste ground in Kuwaifiya in Benghazi. However, no one was hurt after the the pilot was able to eject safely. Operation Dignity said at the time the crash was due to a technical problem although Ansar Al-Sharia claimed it had shot down the jet.

[/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBeidacrashDernadowningLibyaoperation dignity

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Outgoing PM meets incoming UN Special Envoy

Outgoing PM meets incoming UN Special Envoy

Ghariani advises Libya Dawn leaders to use firm hand

Ghariani advises Libya Dawn leaders to use firm hand

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.