No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IMG pair freed after 15 day “spy” arrest in Beida

byNigel Ash
July 8, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Mathieu Galtier.

Tripoli, 4 July 2014:

A Frenchman and an Austrian accused of spying by General Hafter’s spokesman have arrived in Tripoli . . .[restrict]after being detained in Beida for 15 days

The unnamed Europeans, who had been working for the International Management Group (IMG) on an EU-funded project, were arrested on 20 June.  Local MP Zaynap Targhi said that the men “ had high-quality equipment like cameras and GPS, so it raised concerns among security men in the city about their true agenda”.

This equipment  was probably connected with the pair’s apparent search for a Beida office for the IMG, from which the organisation could offer assistance to the Constitutional Assembly which is working in the city to draft the new constitution.  IMG has been running a €4.5-million mission on public administration and capacity building facility in Libya financed by the European Commission.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The sequence of events is unclear. Sources close to the European Union say that it appears that the men were originally imprisoned and questioned. According to Targhi, “Security discovered that they were part of an international programme after a two-day investigation, so they were released and they were held in a hotel until they could leave Beida”. They were well-treated during their arrest according to different sources.

The release of the pair, who were working for the IMG as subcontractors, came despite a claim on Thursday by Mohammed Hejazi, Khalifa Hafter’s spokesman that they were members of the UN and were “spies”. Hejazi made the accusation during a visit to Beida. This prompted a denial from UNSMIL. In a statement this morning, the organisation said it “ “categorically denies claims reported by some media that staff members were detained in the city of a Beida”.

Formed in 1994 in an initiative triggered by the UNHCR, IMG is an independent body that works with the likes of the EU as well as the UN.

Meanwhile Targhi insisted:”The whole story is just an unfortunate misunderstanding”.

Beida has a reputation as one of the safest city in Libya because of the absence of armed groups.  Former Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan, chose it to make his comeback to Libya on 18 June. However Beida has recently seen some violence. A car bomb exploded in front of the headquarters of the Constitutional Assembly on 26 June.

The EU is reassessing security in Beida and might reduce its presence as a result of the incident, said the EU source.

“Security questions have been raised by the arrests. Will we send international experts to Beida as was planned? At this stage, it is hard to say”.
[/restrict]

Tags: BeidaEU.ArrestIMGLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
The 2014 Budget freezes wage increases

The 2014 Budget freezes wage increases

2014 Budget prevents caretaker government from signing new contracts

2014 Budget prevents caretaker government from signing new contracts

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.