By Moutaz Ahmed.
Benghazi: 12 July 2014:
Benghazi University is to reopen for classes after closing its doors as a result of . . .[restrict]clashes which threatened its buildings and facilities since the beginning of Operation Dignity in May.
The decision was taken following a meeting of student representatives and university management on Thursday. The head of Benghazi University’s Students’ Union, Abdul Raziq, told the Libya Herald that the move had divided the students with some welcoming the opportunity to return to their studies but others worried about their safety. He said the Students’ Union had refrained from publishing the information on its social media platforms for fear of a backlash.
Another student said he needed to complete his studies and welcomed the reopening. He said the last year in Benghazi had been the same as the revolution and as such he had wasted a year of study.
The situation at the university has been worst for those students staying in accommodation in Garyounis, close to the sprawling 17 February Brigade camp which has been the focus of many Operation Dignity manoeuvres.
At the end of May, Operation Dinity forces warned students at the university not to attend classes, saying the campus was being used by Islamists to store weapons and ammunition.
Classes have been restarted in hope that students will soon be able to sit their final exams. The dates for those exams have not yet been set.