No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

ELECTION 2014: HNEC announces turnout of 630,000

byCallum Paton
June 26, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
ELECTION 2014: HNEC announces turnout of 630,000

Emad Al-Sayeh speaking at HNEC headquarters (Photo: HNEC)

By Libya Herald staff.

Emad Al-Sayeh speaking at HNEC headquarters (Photo: HNEC)
Emad Al-Sayeh speaking at HNEC headquarters (Photo: HNEC)

Tripoli, 25 June 2014:

The High National Elections Commission (HNEC) has said 630,000 voters had cast . . .[restrict]their ballots today at the end of voting to the House of Representatives.

Speaking at a press conference at HNEC headquarters, HNEC head Emad Al-Sayeh told reporters that 45 percent of the country’s 1.5 million registered voters had taken part in the elections which he said marked a “historical occasion”.

Sayeh said between ten to 15 seats in the House of Representatives would be left vacant by voting disruptions in Derna, Murzuk, Kufra and Al-Jmail. The HNEC head said the empty seats would not prevent the new parliament from sitting as there would still be sufficient deputies to constitute a quorum. He said according to electoral law HNEC would have 48 hours to declare the date for a rerun of elections in the four areas and that the second round of voting would be held within seven days from today.

RELATED POSTS

At the first 2026 Cabinet meeting: Aldabaiba calls for unified state institutions, freezes development spending and calls for elections

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

Sayeh also addressed violence today in Benghazi which he said had forced one polling station to close. He said, however, that the clashes had not affected the electoral process and that HNEC had “nothing to do with battles that did not concern them”.

The HNEC head said the first preliminary results from today’s vote would be available tomorrow and that complete preliminary results would be available in two days. He said final results, including the results of any appeals, would be published by 15 July.

Thanking his HNEC colleagues for their efforts, Sayeh said that, given the broad success of the elections, the few instances in which security breaches had occurred were “acceptable given the difficult conditions”.

[/restrict]

Tags: electionsfeaturedHNECLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

ELECTION 2014: Kufra elections stalled but no Tebu boycott

Relative of Hafter released by kidnappers

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.