No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

International efforts to promote dialogue and consensus grow

byMichel Cousins
April 26, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
International efforts to promote dialogue and consensus grow

Western ambassadors with Mohamed Sarwan of the Justice & Construction Party (Photo: J&C Party)

Ashraf Abdul-Wahab and Muttaz Ali.

Western ambassadors with Mohamed Sarwan of the   Justice & Construction Party (Photo: J&C Party)
Western ambassadors with Mohamed Sawan of the Justice & Construction Party (Photo: J&C Party)

Tripoli, 20 April 2014:

Tunisia has become the latest country to try and forge a national . . .[restrict]dialogue among rival groups in Libya. 

The spokesman for the Tunisian Foreign Ministry, Mukhtar Shawashi, was quoted on Tunisian TV today saying that Tunisia had began efforts to launch a national dialogue in Libya which included all parties so as to achieve compromise and a peaceful solution to the country’s crisis.

Pointing out that the situation in Libya inevitably affects it, he added that the initiative was endorsed by the Libyan government and several foreign ambassadors in Tunisia including those of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the US and Algeria.  Tunisian Foreign Minister Monji Hamdi had met them to discus the issue, it was stated.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

No date, however, has been announced by Tunis for the start of this dialogue nor is it clear whether Tunisian officials had in fact started making contacts with politicians in Libya.

Tunisia is proposing that the dialogue should be under the supervision of the United Nations and the African Union.

Last week, the main ambassadors of the group of Western allies of Libya – Italy, France, the UK and the US – as well as to the deputy UN and EU envoys met with a number of Libyan party political leaders with the same objective in mind: forging dialogue and compromise.

On Wednesday they met with Mohamed Sawan, leader of the Justice and Construction Party (J&C) and a number of his colleagues.

“The main points discussed during the meeting were national reconciliation, the return of displaced Libyans abroad and bringing all the Libyans to the dialogue table  again,” one of those who was at the meeting, J&C spokesman Hussam Al-Naili, told Libya Herald.

Everyone had agreed, he said, that the basic problem was security and the widespread availability of weapons. They also agreed that dialogue was the only way forward to Libyan stability.

“The ambassadors from the international community, along with the UN and EU missions in Libya, offered their willingness to share in the dialogue,” he explained. He added that “they will appoint delegations to travel throughout the country to strengthen the discussions and give the opportunity for everybody to participate”.

The ambassadors also met with members of the National Forces Alliance.

Meanwhile, it has been reported in the Egyptian press that Egypt plans a conference of Libya’s neighbours, Arab states and major international players to activate  Libyan arms collection and storage proposal from Egyptian Foreign Minister Nabil Fahmy. The idea is that it would be co-ordinated by the UN and the Libyan authorities.

The plan was reportedly discussed last week in Cairo between the Egyptian government, the UN special envoy to Libya Tarek Mitri and the head of the Arab League Nabil al-Arabi.

The date for the meeting will be decided after Egypt’s presidential elections next month. [/restrict]

Tags: EgyptFranceItalyJustice & Construction PartyLibyaTunisiaUK

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Confusion surrounds the situation at Zueitina port

Kidnappers release video of pleading Tunisian diplomat

Kidnappers release video of pleading Tunisian diplomat

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.