No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Oil port deal on, despite government silence

bythomwestcott
April 8, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Muttaz Ali and Tom Westcott.

Tripoli, 7 April 2014:

The oil port deal struck between members of the government, the General National Congress . . .[restrict](GNC) and the self-declared ‘Cyrenaica government” does appear to be genuine, despite a deafening silence from the government on the subject.

There was confusion today, after last night’s reports about the handing over of two blockaded eastern oil export terminals, Zueitina and Hariga (Tobruk). Justice Minister Salah Al-Marghani was expected to give details of the deal in a joint press conference with self-styled federalist leader Ibrahim Jadhran and members of the “Cyrenaica Government”.

However, Marghani was not present at this press conference and only Jadhran and the head of the “Cyrenaica government” Abdraba Abdulhamid Al-Barasi, spoke.

RELATED POSTS

Libya supplied nearly a quarter of Italy’s total crude oil imports in 2025

Zawia Oil Refining Company prepares to establish 100-million litre industrial oils plant in Benghazi‎

“After we signed the agreement, it was planed that we would make a joint press conference in Zueitina but, because of problems at Benina airport, this did not happen,” spokesman for the ‘Cyrenaica government’, Ali Al-Hasi, told the Libya Herald.

“The Cyrenaica government has informed the National Oil Company (NOC) it can immediately start using the oil ports,” he said, adding that the ports had been kept in good condition and were ready to get back up and running.

Today, no official comment or announcement materialised from the government, which had previously denied being involved in negotiations with the federalists blocking the ports. The Ministry of Justice did, however, publish a copy of the agreement to open the two ports on its official website today, although with no additional comment.

This statement was signed by Jadhran, Barasi and a member of the GNC, Sherief El-Waffi.

“The GNC is not formally involved in this issue at all, but we have some members making efforts to solve this problem,” Congressman Ahmed Langhi said today. “They were representing themselves and the interests of people in the districts they represent.”

He added that the GNC would be discussing the deal and the ongoing situation with two terminals which remain closed, Ras Lanuf and Sidra, in tomorrow’s sitting. Langhi said he was unable to give further details.

Meanwhile, the situation at the actual ports concerned remains much the same.

“I also heard the media reports that the ports would be reopening but I have received no formal letter or instruction,” Hariga Port Manager Rasab Abdul Razoul said. He added, however, that he was optimistic that over the course of the next few days operations at the port would be restarted. [/restrict]

Tags: federalismgovernment communicationshydrocarbon industryLibyaoiloil export terminalsoil port blockades

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

GNC group calls on Abu Sahmain to resign

Lufthansa and Austrian stop flying to Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.